LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 LR3 Radio Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default relay hard to pull out

The relay can be hard to remove. The plastic angle bit on top is to hook onto with a set of pliers and pull upwards hard.

The reason I am so big on a battery charger is that the 3 needs a good voltage for all systems to run well. This is difficult as even with a perfect system and driving all day, it is rare the battery ever gets above 80% full charge. This is due to limitations related to the PWM regulator design and putting gas mileage and emission control issue ahead of battery charging.

As such, a mains supplied external battery charger is the only practical way of ensuring the battery is fully charged.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, went out and swapped the relay's around.

And yeah, those things are a nightmare to get out, specially with no tools.

Anyway, same thing. Compressor runs for about a minute, and then shuts off with the fault light.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Default the air dryer

This is a good link re the air dryer and the beads within.

It has occurred to me that with some effort, you could empty the air dryer of its contents and then reinstall the empty case. If the problem is plugging due to the beads having turned to white dust, I think your compressor might just work with all removed. That would be a bit of a test at no real cost other than labour. Again, remember, axle jacks on all four corners.

No beads within does not matter for a week or so, a month, yes, but a week, no. You might beable to empty it just by removing the cover torx screws if there is enough access space to get at the dryer in place.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Suspension Compressor / Suspension error

Somewhere in this link they sell a desiccant replacement kit if that turns out to be the problem. Your German best be better than mine however.

DiscoveryParts - Zubehör Discovery 3 - Alles für Land Rover Discovery

Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I put new beads in mine and it still didn't work. The dust gets impregnated in the filters. So even emptying the dryer may not work. It's worth a try though.

There are kits now that have news seals, springs, new filters, and even a new piston or piston ring for the compressor. You can recharge your own silica or buy new to go with the kit. I bought some silica cheap on amazon.

http://x8r.co.uk/index.php/products/...t-hitachi.html

Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Default link appreciated

I really appreciated that link.

I did not know about those guys - they are a real solution and alternative to the AMK install.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Three Wheeling

Breaking news...

So, took it over to the indie shop this morning and within an hour they had called back saying the center console pack for the suspension was toast.

They were getting fault codes for all the ride height sensors, the console pack, the compressor and many other interesting things.

They are swapping out the console and going to clear and re-calibrate everything and try again to see if the compressor works.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Spilled coffee?

That console switch pack can suffer if coffee or even water is spilled on it. I think that may have been one reason on the D4 console redesign, the location of the stuff was reversed and the switches placed forward and the coffee cup holders moved rearward.

Hopefully the fix is that simple.

I recall Chrysler on the big Dodge pickup redesign of a few years back, initially placed the coffee cup holder above the radio. Needless to say, bouncy roads resulted in radio replacements.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling

HAH, probably something much worse than coffee. I have replaced the shift box before due to the same thing.

As bad as that design is, with the cup holders in front of everything, you say they made it "better"(ie. much much worse) by putting the electronics IN FRONT!!! of the cup holders? So any time you have to nail the brakes you spill over into them?

Anyway, still have not heard back, keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited by aBs0lut30; 06-10-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Default do not like the D4 console myself

Not that it is a problem for me, but I do not like the D4 dash and console redesign. I like the door card design; it is nicer looking than the 3 but not the dash layout.

On the 3, I like where the coffee cup holders are and the up down switches as well. They just seem to be in the right place. I never thought about the fluids splashing forward - always a problem.

Having the radio display share the NAV display seems like a good idea until one wants to see both at the same time. It is not better, it is cost cutting to my mind.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Well... a new console, new suspension compressor, 3 and a half days and $2k later. We are back on the road.

Unfortunately the radio is still not working.

Quick Reply: 06 LR3 Radio Woes