LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 LR3 - Multiple Fault Messages: Suspension, HDC, Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 08 LR3 - Multiple Fault Messages: Suspension, HDC, Transmission

First time poster here so bear with me as I have multiple issues with my Rover currently....

I have a 2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8 with 137k on it. It currently has a Johnson Rods Lift applied to it with 275/65 R18 (32s) Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

For the past few months I have been intermittently been receiving an error message that says: Suspension Fault Normal Height Only

The message goes away and doesn't return again but the icon stays illuminated for the life of the trip. Nothing happens to the vehicle but I am restricted to normal ride height.

As of late, I am now receiving 2 additional error messages: HDC Fault System Not Available

Followed By : Transmission Fault with the associated icon.

It will then lower the height of the vehicle but no other messages come, it does not tell me to slow down or do I lose any engine power or anything like that.

I have found that after I turn the vehicle off and start it back up there are no messages, but it is still in the lowered position, yet not indicating it on the message screen. So I then can lift it up into the off road mode and it will go up just fine, and after that I just lower it one notch returning it back to normal height and showing normal height in my message system.

I then can drive for awhile before receiving the first message again and then eventually the other two to follow at some point, it's never the same amount of time in between. However, I usually get the first message within the first mile or so of driving every time.

I have since replaced the battery as well as the brake switch under the steering column in effort to fix this but it has not worked.

Any Suggestions???

In addition........

On top of all of this I had the parking brake get locked on after parking it in a flat parking lot at work all day and I did not apply it. I couldn't get it to remove with any of the standard tricks or with the manual screw driver/ jack hook on the cable below the shifter.

I had no choice but to have it towed to a local shop where I had them remove the EBS as I live in the very flat midwest region and wanted to avoid trying to fix it for over $2000+ when I have just read it is troublesome and consistently malfunctioning.

I now have the additional red parking brake flashing and constantly messaging me with: Parking Brake Fault System Not Available but the parking brake is removed and not in effect.

I am now wondering if any of this stuff might be related or if they are/were separate issues? As you can probably tell I am more than frustrated with what is happening to my LR3, I love the vehicle, but the expenses are getting to be unbearable.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Your parking brake light will always be there. The system really is not troublesome if maintained, the problem is people ignore it then have issues. This is the case with pretty much any parking brake system. Its just the LR3 system is always active by monitoring cable pressure so when the brakes are not maintained there can be issues. Sounds like you had a component outright fail causing a lockup.

For the other issues, you might have multiple causes. Until you get codes it will be a guessing game. The EAS fault can be caused by faulty height sensors or dying compressor. Even a large leak. When you restart the soft faults are gone and it starts over until it has an issues. One cause can be the compressor draining too much average when operating. It will operate anytime galley pressure gets too low, so if you have a small leak or the vehicle needs to make an adjustment it can turn on. Or if the compressor is dying it will fault if the galley pressure is not coming up fast enough. And the list goes one. So codes are best.

As for your height differences compared to display. Can not say, but those rods are manipulating the system in a way it was not designed for. Personally I prefer a software solution for adjusting heights.

Your HDC and trans faults could easily be related as they depend on each other and that does extend to EAS. So while it seems you have have EAS issues you can still get EAS failure do due a transmission fault. But often when you get this mix of faults its a power issue. You replaced the battery, have you ever had the alternator checked? You can sorta do so onboard. The video helps explain the procedure. Press for six seconds where show, then press the physical button bellow until the keypad comes up. Code 753 Then go to vehicle signals or inputs, something like that. Idle operating voltage should not be less than about 13.5. Below 13, yuk. It can go at high as 14.5, typically when moving. With that said, a faulty alternator can certainly operate fine and cut out at random times causing a momentary voltage drop.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Overlanding
Default Suspension fault

My 08 lr3 gave the same ride height symptoms when it needed a new compressor. I will not guess at the hdc. When mine had that come up it was the med speed can and the gauge cluster needed replacing. As the previous responder said it can be related to the other issues. Best to get codes to diagnose

Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

1. check the front carpets to water. especially the passegner side. lots of wires run in under that carpet in the door sill that can get shorted by water ingress.

spots water can come in from are:
1. A pillar covers (outside) - need replacement clips as there's a small foam o-ring that deteriorates
2. Sunroof drains - driver and passenger side. both go through the side wall of the footwell, just under the lower dash. rubber elbow at the end rots out, causing the drains to flow right into the cabin.
3. cowl cover (outside) - it can bow and allow water in at the bottom of the a-pillars. can also allow water to hit the fuses in the engine bay. simple pull up and replace entire piece
4. A/C drains. are at the bottom of the center stack, can clog and let water into the cabin. best bet to clear them is pull the hose off and push plastic trimmer line through.

not uncommon to have leaks from multiple of the above places at once. easy test is run a garden hose over each point individually and look for leaks inside

2. check your battery cables, particularly the ground strap. make sure the battery connections are clean, and make sure where the ground strap connects to the body isn't corroded (common issue)

Old 05-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stooch7
First time poster here so bear with me as I have multiple issues with my Rover currently....

I have a 2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8 with 137k on it. It currently has a Johnson Rods Lift applied to it with 275/65 R18 (32s) Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

For the past few months I have been intermittently been receiving an error message that says: Suspension Fault Normal Height Only

The message goes away and doesn't return again but the icon stays illuminated for the life of the trip. Nothing happens to the vehicle but I am restricted to normal ride height.

As of late, I am now receiving 2 additional error messages: HDC Fault System Not Available

Followed By : Transmission Fault with the associated icon.

It will then lower the height of the vehicle but no other messages come, it does not tell me to slow down or do I lose any engine power or anything like that.

I have found that after I turn the vehicle off and start it back up there are no messages, but it is still in the lowered position, yet not indicating it on the message screen. So I then can lift it up into the off road mode and it will go up just fine, and after that I just lower it one notch returning it back to normal height and showing normal height in my message system.

I then can drive for awhile before receiving the first message again and then eventually the other two to follow at some point, it's never the same amount of time in between. However, I usually get the first message within the first mile or so of driving every time.

I have since replaced the battery as well as the brake switch under the steering column in effort to fix this but it has not worked.

Any Suggestions???

In addition........

On top of all of this I had the parking brake get locked on after parking it in a flat parking lot at work all day and I did not apply it. I couldn't get it to remove with any of the standard tricks or with the manual screw driver/ jack hook on the cable below the shifter.

I had no choice but to have it towed to a local shop where I had them remove the EBS as I live in the very flat midwest region and wanted to avoid trying to fix it for over $2000+ when I have just read it is troublesome and consistently malfunctioning.

I now have the additional red parking brake flashing and constantly messaging me with: Parking Brake Fault System Not Available but the parking brake is removed and not in effect.

I am now wondering if any of this stuff might be related or if they are/were separate issues? As you can probably tell I am more than frustrated with what is happening to my LR3, I love the vehicle, but the expenses are getting to be unbearable.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Hey, I had this very same issue. I think a lot of things can cause these faults but, take off all of you wheels and check the wheel speed sensors for girt or grime inside the area that the wheel speed sensor is measuring the turns of the metal teeth on the wheel (inside the brake area). If they are clogged with dirt, the sensor will not read properly or one of the sensors could have just gone bad. When they stop working, a lot of these faults pop up

Old 02-25-2022, 07:21 PM
5th Gear
Default Same issue but with a 2015 LR4

Hi

I am wondering if your issue ever got solved. I am getting the same thing with my LR4. The issue started ever since I got Johnson rods. Same thing issues with warning height. Now getting HDC transmission warnings. My gear won’t come up any more. I have changed the battery. Alternator check next. Brake lights are working. Any clues ?

Old 02-25-2022, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warner429
Hi

I am wondering if your issue ever got solved. I am getting the same thing with my LR4. The issue started ever since I got Johnson rods. Same thing issues with warning height. Now getting HDC transmission warnings. My gear won’t come up any more. I have changed the battery. Alternator check next. Brake lights are working. Any clues ?
take off all the wheels and find the ABS wheel speed transducer/sensor. It plug into the hub. Mud and grime can get into the teeth of the hub interior and cause the sensor to go bad. When one of those sensors goes out, you’ll get all these lights. Sensors are $30 each I think. I think there’s only two, one on the front axle and one in the rear. I forget which side they are on but I think they are crossed, like passenger side front and drivers side rear.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

^ Huh???? Speed sensors dont go back because of stuff on the tooth ring. And there are four.

Anyway warner429, is your truck down on the bumps? If so, your height sensors are out of bounds because of the rods. You need to jack up the front and rear to a reasonable hight. Just a few inches, to get the sensors to read again and the suspension should come back online. Also post in the LR4 section, this is LR3 and things are a bit different in a few areas.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
^ Huh???? Speed sensors dont go back because of stuff on the tooth ring. And there are four.

Anyway warner429, is your truck down on the bumps? If so, your height sensors are out of bounds because of the rods. You need to jack up the front and rear to a reasonable hight. Just a few inches, to get the sensors to read again and the suspension should come back online. Also post in the LR4 section, this is LR3 and things are a bit different in a few areas.

so I got the Johnson rods last summer because my tires were rubbing recommended by my mechanic.

I have lifted it all the way to extended height and dropped it down to access and back to normal.

I have noticed that my truck sits higher by it self sometimes and sends me a warning cannot raise it higher. Would that be the issue ?

what do you also mean by jack it? Manually jack the front and back ?

thank you for your inputs.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:37 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler

also this issue happened yesterday in my garage as I was about to head to work. I go to turn on the car and all these warnings came on. Then I noticed the gear didn’t pop up. I turned it off back on. Nothing. No warnings this time and no gear still. Turn off turn back on, gear pops up and goes back down then hdc warning. the third time, no warning or gear but I was able to rotate gear from P R and D, still no gear up.

Quick Reply: 08 LR3 - Multiple Fault Messages: Suspension, HDC, Transmission