LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 inch Lucky8 SYA Off Road Extension Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 04:32 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Johnson Rods has a 1.5 inch lift kit for the LR3 and LR4.

Here is a picture with 265-65-18 BFG KO2 tires and Compomotive 18 inch wheels:

1.5 inch Johnson Rod lift with 18 inch Compomotive wheels 265-65-18 BFG KO2's

The following users liked this post:
wyattb18 (09-05-2023)
Old 03-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Lucky8 SYA Off Road Extension Kit comes with short rods too, but that is not the point.
GAP IIDTool is MUST-HAVE for any lifted rovers and can easily do 1" alone as needed.

SYA Adds:
1) ability to drive full-time lifted and recenter the shocks/struts back to neutral (safety & more comfortable)
2) Self recovery from catastrophic EAS failure even on over-sized tires.

I like my adjustable rods to level and recenter my height sensors at 175 calibrations on all four corners. Seems to give me max range of motion without EAS faults on the trail.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Sya...

Is tempting. I just use the IIDTool. My main concern is a failure that would leave me on bumpstops. Not sure it's worth worrying about though. Seems like other than a branch through an airbag, only a catastrophic compressor failure would lead to that...and those don't generally come out of nowhere.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

A steering angle sensor being out of calibration can dump it to the bumps as well ask me how I know.

On the new lr3 I will have the sya kit and Proud Rhino lift rods.

Also I agree 💯 if you're only doing 1" by the gap IID tool and raise it that way

Last edited by ArmyRover; 03-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy

I think the SAS fail puts it at Access...not bumpstops, and you can raise it back up long enough to pull the EAS fuses. Ask me how I know!

Old 03-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Trust me my kidneys and I can confirm its the bump stops.

I'm sure you can overcome but when it faults out at 70 mph that would not be good.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Maybe....

...I guess I don't really remember because it was momentary and I pulled the fuses. I still think it's Access though, just like the brake switch fail. I'd bet a beer on it.

Maybe your larger tires made it seem like bumpstops.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Nothing in the tech manual mentions a drop to access, only a total vent to the reserve air level which is mechanically set by the exhaust valve spring. This is done to prevent uneven balance in the suspension in the event a bag is blown or to prevent a dramatic drop if there is a bag issue and the system adjusts (in access the system will still actively trim). Or if there is a slow leak and the compressor is faulted out there will be no front down, back end up tilt to the vehicle, etc. Ankeep in mind, a drop to bump stops does not mean the air bags are empty as the valve design will prevent the bags from completely emptying, unless there is a line rupture upstream from the compressor.

Some more specific failures resulting in bump stomp height:
Failure of multiple height sensors, cross-articulation when driving, calibration corrupted = Vehicle lowers to bump stops.
Implausible articulation symptoms detected = vehicle on bump stops
If the air suspension control module has a hardware fault = system will freeze heights or vehicle lowers to bump stops

I still think the brake switch failure is just some sorta odd unforeseen collateral fault and nothing in the tech manual says the EAS should fault from its failure. Just like when a brake light goes out it can cause issues (or so I have read, never experienced it).

morrisdl (03-06-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Fair enough.

To the point of this post....only the "air suspension control module has a hardware fault" which I equate to "compressor is **** up" results in a condition which can't be rectified with fuse-pulling.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Not, it means if the module itself goes **** up. If the compressor hard faults the system goes to normal ride hight only, recommended speed warning, oddly enough. The simplest modification would be to install a fill fitting for each bag. Pretty easy to do as long at the fittings are rated for no less than 250psi. Then you can just fill bags individually from a tire compressor. But like you said a while ago hour_wa, compressor failures are not outright common without notice. And anything who takes this truck serious would maintain the EAS system to begin with. And if one is really paranoid about issues, carry a couple spare height sensors when tracking deep into unknown places. Of all the parts to fail, I would only worry about sensors and the compressor.

houm_wa (03-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 1 inch Lucky8 SYA Off Road Extension Kit