LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" Cooper Zeon LTZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ

Hi,

First I want to introduce myself. My name is Dan and I just bought my first Land Rover. After 10 years with a Cherokee I decide I finally deserved a little British civility and just picked up a 2005 LR3.

Aside from fixing a few little things and replacing a suspension sensor, the first thing I plan on doing besides ordering the IID tool is getting rid of the road tires on it and putting on some all terrain tires. I was all set to order up some Terra Grapplers when It occurred to me to go take a look at my tire size. Somehow in the process of buying it I didn't realize that the aftermarket rims the previous owner had on there are 20".

My plan is to track down some 18" stock rims and get rid of these, but I just saw a set of Cooper Zeon LTZs on Craigslist for pretty cheap. My current tires are 275/45/ R20 and the Zeons are 275/55 r20s. That is a bump of just over 2" in height. Since it seems the largest tires people run without full time lifts is 286/60 R18 I might be able to fit it with only a little rubbing.

Do you think that these will work well for off roading here in Colorado or do you think I'm better off biting the bullet and replacing the rims and tires together?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't think any tire on a 20" rim would be much good for off-roading. Even the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, which is widely regarded as a great tire (and what I have in the 275/65R18 size) don't do so well in the 20" size. I have a wheelin' buddy that ruptured one in fact...just not enough sidewall.

Better off ditching the 20s and getting 18s. OR...keep both! Get some nice road-biased tires for the 20s and get wheelin' tires for the 18s.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 2foot2los
Hi,

First I want to introduce myself. My name is Dan and I just bought my first Land Rover. After 10 years with a Cherokee I decide I finally deserved a little British civility and just picked up a 2005 LR3.

Aside from fixing a few little things and replacing a suspension sensor, the first thing I plan on doing besides ordering the IID tool is getting rid of the road tires on it and putting on some all terrain tires. I was all set to order up some Terra Grapplers when It occurred to me to go take a look at my tire size. Somehow in the process of buying it I didn't realize that the aftermarket rims the previous owner had on there are 20".

My plan is to track down some 18" stock rims and get rid of these, but I just saw a set of Cooper Zeon LTZs on Craigslist for pretty cheap. My current tires are 275/45/ R20 and the Zeons are 275/55 r20s. That is a bump of just over 2" in height. Since it seems the largest tires people run without full time lifts is 286/60 R18 I might be able to fit it with only a little rubbing.

Do you think that these will work well for off roading here in Colorado or do you think I'm better off biting the bullet and replacing the rims and tires together?
20" just has too little sidewall to be practical offroad. I wouldn't feel too confident on rims that big with tires that small.

a side note: even though they say you can run up to 285 on the 18"s, unless you remove the steel frame horns that jut into the wheel wells they will rub like crazy and immobilize the truck if you get a suspension failure. A good size is 265/60/R18 with stock height, I have been grinding down the frame horns to avoid the rubbing but this size only "kisses" the steel in full turning, so its not a huge issue.

My advice is to get 18s as soon as you can, and avoid the crazy trails until then

Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha. Its good to hear some first hand info on what rubs.

So would the worry with smaller sidewalls be that the tire would flat more since it has less give?. After all, the difference between the the larger 20"zeons and a set of 18" ATs would only be a total of about .3 inches.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am running 285/60-18 Terra Grappler G2s with the Proud Rhino lift kit on a 2007 LR3. A couple of days ago I started getting an amber suspension fault. Occasionally when I reach about 30 mph, it chimes and goes to red. But when I continue to accelerate the fault goes back to amber. The truck never drops, but occasionally it won't let me raise it or lower it. I was suspecting a bad height sensor. I turned the steering wheel all the way right to check the left front sensor and the lift rod and I noticed a plastic wrapped electrical cable bundle that was rubbed through by the tires. I had read that with these tires this cable should be zip tied up higher in the fender well. My indy shop instructed otherwise since I wouldn't be going fast enough in sharp turns to rub through the cable. Live and learn. Has anybody had this cable repaired and know the approximate cost? Is it possible or probable that this worn cable is the cause of the suspension faults?

Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Take some pics of what is worn GWDRoverTX or post a video to youtube and provide a link

Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 AM
Camel Trophy

There is an overlay that you can purchase. I don't remember the cost but I don't think it's all that expensive. Yes it can be repaired and I absolutely think it's the cause of your suspension fault.

I don't remember how much I paid to have that fixed; if it's more than $100 or maybe $125 (including labor) I'd be surprised.

I have one of those wire overlays in my spares kit. I probably should find instructions on which wires to splice together and keep that in my Overlanding Tote as well. I am betting on my abilities to do it in a pinch, but having the instructions sure wouldn't hurt.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Dan,

I agree with the others. If you truly intend to offroad - get the 18s. Don't forget, if you air down the tires on 20" wheels... you'll have even less room before the rim takes a hit...

Dave aka Ghan

Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Peter - Sorry about that, should have realized a couple of pictures will make it more obvious.

Attached Thumbnails 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ-img_0383.jpg   20" Cooper Zeon LTZ-img_0384.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Yep...and when you see how easy zip-tying it is, you're gonna feel like a jacka$$!!! (I did)

Quick Reply: 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ