LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 brake switch issue-fault code P0504. Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't help too much with either of those, and you may have the best luck starting a new thread, or doing some searching on here, as I'm sure it's been covered before. But I have had several customers that were very pleased with the Cooper Zeons, but sizes are limited.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Introducing variables?

Regarding Mufflers, fortunately I know nothing about them as I still have the original exhaust system which I like very much. About the only concern I would have is that a new system would have a different back pressure, either more or less, and knowing Land Rover, there is probably some sensor somewhere that will note the difference and put the 3 into safe mode.

Well I am probably exaggerating, but I regard it as so difficult to keep a 3 running in stock order, the idea of adding variables is to me, frightening.

As you just discovered, it is tough enough trouble shooting the 3 when all is factory.

Regarding tyres, I guess the question is what are the tyres for?

My 18" rim tyres are winter snowflake tyres. For that, I installed the door sticker marked narrow width tyres, Pirelli Ice & Snow 235 65 R18XL.

They are the stock diameter of 30 inches and hence will not bind in the wheel wells when the suspension drops; are the XL load rating which Land Rover seems to think matters, and are narrower than the 19" rim summer tyres so I like to think I have a bit better winter traction than I would with wide rubber.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 LR3 brake switch issue-fault code P0504.  Need help!!-pirelli-ice-snow-235-65-r18-xl-tyre-sticker-tread.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New questions, new thread.

Yep, I figured a new thread would be the way to go, just thought I'd get opinions from those whom had already helped out. Tires would be need to be dual purpose, for summer and winter in Wisconsin.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Summer tyres are Bridgestone H/L.

My summer tyres are Bridgestone H/L on my 19" rims in the stock 255 55 R19 XL size. They actually have a M+S winter rating but that is probably due to the rubber rather than the tread design.

Up here, on pickups, a lot of guys install the A/T tread and run all year round with that. They are a practical alternative with regards to price, availability, and suitability.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 LR3 brake switch issue-fault code P0504.  Need help!!-bridgestone-dueler-alenza-h-l-thread-side-brirh6_xl.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

For dual purpose , nothing can beat Nokian WRG 2 or WRG 3 tires.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problem and mine turned out to be a clogged water flow hole for the sunroof that allowed water to build up on the passenger side carpet destroying all the wires. Once i fixed it all everything started working again no more brake switch correlation or air ride problems.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by roverguy7
The shift interlock is controlled by the TCM(valve body) based on CAN input from the ABS about the second switch inside the brake switch. This switch is normally closed, and when pedal is depressed, voltage is removed. If you are not getting proper power to that side of the switch, the ABS doesn't know that the pedal is ever not depressed, which is the problem. The fault is a correlation fault between the two switches in the brake switch, so turning the vehicle on with the pedal depressed, the lamp control portion of the switch shows depressed, as does the ABS input, as soon as it is released, the lamp side shows released, but the ABS side still shows depressed.

There is a splice in the RH door sill that I have seen cause issues with this before, as well as a connector(C1165L - located in LH lower A-pillar area) You will be looking for a Red wire, and possible corrosion in the splice/connector.
I'm having this same exact problem and I can't find the splice. Do you have a picture of the location? Just an additional note. My sunroof tube leaked into the carpet but I have drained all the water.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 PM
arl
6th Gear

Same here. Can you guys share a diagram or picture the location/cables/splice.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Default maybe the HVAC drains instead

Originally Posted by arl
Same here. Can you guys share a diagram or picture the location/cables/splice.
I am assuming the concern you are asking about is wet carpets?

If so, per the links below, rather than the moon roof drains, one or both of the thru the floor hoses that drain the HVAC and cowling water can be disconnected. This is a relativity easy fix and costs nothing other than a bit of time.

If the carpet seems more wet on one or both sides of the transmission tunnel, these hoses are the reason. Regardless, over time they tend to shrink and fall down like socks so on occasion it is desirable to slide them back up onto their respective heater cowling nipples.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/dis...um=30300&pos=5

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/dis...um=30300&pos=8

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...hp?album=30300

Old 03-27-2020, 06:59 PM
arl
6th Gear

Hi bbyer. No carpet issue. Code P0504. roverguy7 found the issue to be "the splice in the RH door sill that I have seen cause issues with this before, as well as a connector(C1165L - located in LH lower A-pillar area) You will be looking for a Red wire, and possible corrosion in the splice/connector".

I just can't find the splice or connector C1165L location. A diagram/picture would help.

Also in the glove fuse glove I found this lose connector missing a Relay?

Last edited by arl; 03-27-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 LR3 brake switch issue-fault code P0504. Need help!!