LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 Dies While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think it would be safe to get a remanufactured alternator at a 50% savings?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Yes, use a rebuilt, but a brand name one.

Yes, I found I could purchase two WAI rebuilt alternators installed for the price of one LR rebuilt sitting on the LR parts counter.

I had the leading alternator shop in my city, (guys who do industrial equipment), supply and install it, hence when the first WAI went out in about a week, they did the second WAI for free and discovered/covered the pulley problem as well.

There are too many variables to try it yourself was my thinking and it paid off. I could change the alternator on my 1992 Buick Roadmaster is about 15 minutes at -30F out on the highway; the 3 is not a GM 350 I have learned; it is just about a frame off kind of thing - well the starter motor is anyway.

When it was all over and done with, the independent indicated that they would not be putting the Land Rover marque on their letterhead just yet however.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Lester number is 11206

The Lester number for the nominal 150 amp alternator for the 4.4L Jag V8 in the LR3 is 11206. The pulley is most likely a 54 mm x 6 groove x 17mm shaft but may be a 54mm x 7 groove pulley - check what you pull off and switch as required.

The WAI number is similar. See link below.

PartDetails

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think the issue at hand is electrical.

If it is starting to act funny, and still showing 13v, then you have enough voltage to everything that would make a difference.

After driving for a while, and everything, including the battery getting warm, the PCM will lower it's commanded voltage from the generator, as to not damage the battery, and cause excess gas venting.To me, it sounds like your generator is working as designed. If there were a problem with it, I would not suspect the generator, or it's internal regulator at this point.If it were the regulator, the PCm would turn on the charge indicator on the dash, as it would see a lower voltage then what it had commanded, without that happening, I'm guessing that it is fine. If it were anything with the electrical system, I would be looking at cables for corrosion, and further so into the PCM and TCM, as PCM controls required voltage command, and TCM controls electrical load management.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling

So with all said do you still think I'm suffering from a fuel pressure issue? I feel pretty safe about taking it in to get road tested for consistent pressure because the failure is easily reproducible. My fear is that I don't want the dealer or myself to just start throwing expensive parts at the problem in hopes of fixing it.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench

I have not experienced the issue myself, so I can by no means say that fuel is the issue, but from what you've described, with a drawn out stall, and a loss of power and drivability prior to that, fuel would be where I would go if you brought the truck into my shop.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Let's hope the mechanics at the dealer are as competent as you. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll report back with the results.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
7th Gear

I believe its the fuel am facing same problem as well but for mine when they droped the tanx the fuel filter is dirty can see virt in the fuel from the filter tested the pump is okay but the problem is the hose is some how factory fitted to the filter now am mad as part is the problem here in my country u always get used not new and the new OMG expensive well mine is the 4.0l v6 SE but I plan installing the OEM navigation the software will be my problem as stated by bbyer thanks for your help and useful information

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Three Wheeling

I'm going to replace the tie rod and end today. While I have the 3 up I want to check the connection to the TCM because I figure it can't hurt. I looked at the manual but there weren't any decent pics of it's location I'm guessing just plugged into the trans somewhere?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench

Right rear corner of the trans. About 4-6 inches above the pan.

I doubt that is you issue, as a bad connection would give you all kinds of faults and errors, when I said TCM is possible, I meant internal software issue, as it controls electrical load management. But I doubt that is your issue, as that would cause your electrical system to shut down, not your engine. Radio would be randomly entering power save mode while driving, none essential functions would be turned off and such.

Quick Reply: 2005 LR3 Dies While Driving