LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 Error codes fixed after 1 Year Journey!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2005 LR3 Error codes fixed after 1 Year Journey!!

Hey Guys... to say this weekend was a Huge success in the land of LR3 fixes is an understatement. The Land Rover Gods have smiled upon me
for some unknown reason. Thanks to this forum, endless hours of internet searching, (1) indy shop, and finally a wild guess.... my 2005 LR3 appears to be cured.
Or at least the issue that has plagued me for a year has been cured. (Knock on wood).

If you search on the Lr3 Thread you will see my journey. I've been searching for the cause of over a dozen communication fault codes and a dash full of lights (check Engine, ABS, DSC, Trans failure, ABS, etc...). Terrain options were disabled trans was limited to first gear. I bought the Lr3 at an insurance auction from Arizona with 75,000 miles and it is MINT and Rust free!!!! Leather and interior is perfect. Exterior is spotless. Insurance Auction listed it as Mechanical issue. Paperwork said "Electrical issues with multiple fault codes and dash lights". So I knew I had a Rover with issues. It has sat in my garage in Wisconsin for 13 months.

We tried everything..... replaced Airbags with Coil conversion with Suspension ECU override.. Traced Hi Speed Can BUS wires. new Speed Sensor wires... new brakes pads ad rotors and sensors.... new Alternator... new battery..... new brake switch... cleaned a ton of connections, cleaned and replaced all fuses..... Checked for grounds... checked the Red Door sill wire on Passenger side.... Codes were A/B. brake issue... and a ton of Communication issues.... most said lost comms with VDCM (ABS module). But that could be a wire break ot a bad connection anywhere on the CANBUS. After tons of work we narrowed the issue to the ABS module (ECU attached to the ABS pump on top of Driver Fender well). Bosch does not make this module any longer and there are no new ones available. I had heard the module was VIN locked and you had to get it repaired or find an "unlocked OEM one". So I sent it to get repaired to UpFix.com. They said they fixed a few loose wires but it made no difference in the messages/errors/codes once put back on the LR3. Same errors that refused to be cleared. So basically I had a MINT LR3 that cranked and went 5 MPH and had a colorful dash. So..... USELESS

I took a chance and bought a used ABS Module and pump off Ebay for like $75. I disconnected my ABS module from the harness and hooked up the used/EBAY module (I had not swapped the pump and reconnected the brake lines). The used module was just laying on the fender well connected to the harness. Cranked up the LR3 and guess what? NO errors... no issues... after 30 minutes of idle/recrank/idle/recrank.. let idle for 5 mins..... and ABS light came on. But not all the others. No check engine or real errors... JUST ABS.... My theory was this was due to the brake lines not being hooked up so the ABS ECU was confused. So I swapped out the Module/pump unit for the used one and bleed the brake lines.

Cranked up... cleared the ABS error... let it idle for 20 minutes... and have put 25 miles on it in the last 2 days. Inclines.... tried out the the terrain modes...all work... wet pavement and hit the brakes hard.... No errors... no problems... no issues. Runs like a champ. Drives like a champ...

I was always told the ABS module was VIN locked. But, so far so good. No error codes and no lights. So who knows.... My next step is to put about 100 miles on it this week and see if we are good to go. I can't believe after a year it was the damn ABS module and a used one would work. In theory it could have been the ABS pump itself.... but either way it seems it be working. I literally went from barely being able to move the Lr3 to no issues and 25 miles of driving in the last 2 days.

So for anyone with potential CANBUS issues getting the VDCM communication issue... Grab a used ABS Module and pump. Plug it in and see if it makes a difference. You may be surprised.

The following 8 users liked this post by Structural1:
DakotaTravler (11-07-2022), douglastic (11-07-2022), houm_wa (11-06-2022), P-Bod (11-06-2022), renli3d (11-23-2022), SeattleDriver (11-07-2022), tracyc (11-07-2022), traen10 (03-30-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

So is the next step putting all the EAS gear back in ?

Old 11-09-2022, 07:52 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL... I knew the die hard EAS guys were going to ask that. But no. The Air System was a mess when I got it. Leaky Bags, etc. The thought of a failure out somewhere and this thing sitting down on top of the tires freaks me out. She will see 85% city driving with an occasional dirt road. The other 15% may be very light trails. I 100% agree when the Air system is functional it is awesome. But for my driving... I went with the coil conversion.

The following users liked this post:
tracyc (11-10-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m just here to revel in the light of your success on this… It’s a beautiful thing to finally diagnose and fix something as big as this. Congrats!

traen10 (03-30-2024)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:58 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass man, that’s great!

traen10 (03-30-2024)