LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 Parking Brake inoperative...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 Parking Brake inoperative...

Recently bought a 2006 Land Rover LR3. Took the car for inspection today and failed due to the Electric Parking (Emergency) brake not working. Since it has an automatic transmission and I live in a flat area, I never have tried using the brake since I owned the car.

There are no warning lights showing. Just when I pull up or push down on the center console lever, nothing happens. When I search the forums and the net, I get a lot of feedback for problems with the brake, but all seem to have to do with either the brake sticking or some trouble lights showing. This problem is just a "limp" lever that does nothing?

Any quick ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull activates the brake, pushing down deactivates it.
This is from the service manual:
Amber Parking Brake Warning Indicator
The amber parking brake warning indicator is continuously illuminated if there is a parking brake system fault. Operation
of the indicator is controlled by a high speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus signal from the parking brake module to
the instrument cluster.
Red Parking Brake Warning Indicator
When the parking brake is applied, the red parking brake warning indicator is continuously illuminated while the ignition is
on and for 3 minutes after the ignition is switched off. If the system is unable to comply with an apply or release request,
due to a system fault, the indicator flashes.
When the ignition is on and the indicator is not flashing, operation is controlled by a high speed CAN bus signal. When the
ignition is off or when the indicator is flashing, operation is controlled by a hardwired signal from the parking brake module
to the instrument cluster.
With no errors on the dash to me this suggests that it is the switch. Also on startup the computer goes through a self test of the parking brake module, again you would expect to get an error displayed if it had failed.

I'd remove the switch and jump the contacts on the switch.
Here are instructions to remove the switch:
Pop the black cover off (this just pulls up), sqeeze the clip on the under side of the wiring connector and move it to one side, remove the torx screw, slide the whole switch backwards and it will come out
above from:
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Added a tiny bit of bling to the D3... D4 Chrome EPB Switch

manual:

There are 4 wires leading to the switch, not sure which two to jump to activate it. My best GUESS is that:
- Yellow/Blue - common
- Red - Activate
- Yellow - Deactivate
- Yellow/Green - light

The Red and Yellow could be reversed... again this is just a guess. You might want to start with the switch removed just probing the switch to see if any contracts have continuity when you pull up on the switch.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 LR3 Parking Brake inoperative...-epbswitch.png  

Last edited by Greg9504; 04-09-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: note about wire colours
Old 04-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the switch checks out OK, there is a fuseable link 30 Amps 8E in the battery junction box , check that it hasn't blown.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 PM
4wd Low

Thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 AM
Drifting

hi, new to the forums. i think i may have the same problem too. were you able to fix it?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

precisely what are your errors? Background, etc.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:31 AM
Drifting

I am having the same problem. It happened after I got my right door lock actuator replaced. When I got home, my parking brake switch no longer works.