LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 Wont Drive in Any Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So installed the Lucky 8 kit and I have no more leak. I was pleased with the kit except for a pinched o-ring on the large drain plug. I noticed it once I had already started disassembling the old pan so I had to find something close at a hardware store. Other than that it was a much better fit than the Raptor pan. It is lower profile and seems to have about .5qts less capacity. Overall much easier to install than the Raptor pan.

I am now driving the LR3 and I'm starting to get used to it. It's taking some getting used to since my last vehicle was very different (1995 Nissan 300zx convertible 5-speed). I like the turning radius and how well you can see the front corners of the car and it handles pretty well for something this big! I look forward to testing it in some snow sometime in the near future. For now I will just enjoy my warning light free ride.

Remaining problems:
1) I'm getting about 12mpg in mixed driving. I'm not a gentle driver, but something is definitely wrong when I can only get 14mpg on the highway
2) My washer fluid reservoir has a leak
3) I'm getting some unpleasant shifting at a rolling stop (aka a California stop, from this forum) which seems to be a common problem

I checked (with the GAP tool) that my torque converter is locking up, which it is, so that is not the cause of my poor gas mileage. I'm thinking it may be a dirty oxygen sensor. The RH catalytic converter was removed and sitting under the car for months while I worked on the transmission, so it seem like a definite possibility. I plan to compare the RH and LH reading using the GAP tool (if possible) to see if there is any noticeable difference. From what I've read it could also be dirty injectors or spark plugs. I currently have Yakima round cross bars on the roof which could also be hurting the mileage, but not this significantly. The car has 255/55/18 tires on it, which are undersized, so that could also be affecting it.

The jerky slow speed shifting may be fixable by a transmission software update, so i'll give that a shot.