LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 LR3 Nav/Radio/Cool Box intermittent failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LR3 Nav/Radio/Cool Box intermittent failure

Not sure where to start:

2008 LR3, while driving the radio, nav display, and cold box will all turn off with a pop. Sounds like a fuse blowing. Might come back on in 10 minutes, might be off for a week. Get back in the car days later and all works again. You can tell if it is all off or all on by the Land Rover logo showing in the nav display at startup. Often will turn off or back on randomly when driving.

I was hoping that the fact that it takes the cold box out as well might get me started in the right direction on where to look. Can't be a fuse, because it comes back on. A relay somewhere? Is there something telling the nav system to go to sleep? Driver door sensor, etc.? What would control or ground the nav display, the radio, and the cold box?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...any other info, such as a message on the NAV Display? I used to once in a while see mine shut down due to heat. At those times my radio wasn't on so I'm not sure if that would've shut down with it. I don't have a heater box.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Drifting

No messages, radio, nav display, cold box, the clock in the center of the instrument panel (assuming this comes from the stereo unit) are all dead (just off), it really seems like a power failure to the group of components OR perhaps whatever system that turns them on turning them off.

They will magically come back on when driving - I then get the normal startup screens and everything works.

The cold box is the refrigerator/cooler in the center of the console. I thought it was weird that it went off as well, making me think it was not an individual component that was defective, but something that servers them all.

Looking for any info on how these system relate to each other and what turns them on/off.

Last edited by dhaselhorst; 08-02-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

The only common point that I see is Fuseable Link 18E under the hood. That's where I would start my examination and you might want to consider replacing it even if it doesn't look bad. Not sure why it would go and come back on though if the link was severed, but perhaps the link is not seated securely?

Otherwise, the Nav screen and audio stuff are on fuses 53P, 58P, 52P, and 42P. The cool box is on fuse 59P.

In addition, it looks like even though the wires are separate, they may share a common connector at some point, but I don't know where it's located. C0469? and/or C0467L?

The following users liked this post:
dhaselhorst (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If they all have a common fusible link wouldn't they have a common relay? It sounds to me like a faulty relay but without my manuals with me, I can't go a vestigatin'...

Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the ideas. I'll take a look. Any idea how to find out where 0469? and/or C0467L are? I am assuming the other fuses you mentioned are under the hood.

Just noticed you are in Herndon. I am in the DC area as well.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
If they all have a common fusible link wouldn't they have a common relay? It sounds to me like a faulty relay but without my manuals with me, I can't go a vestigatin'...
Doesn't look that way. Infotainment system is controlled by relay R249, but there is no relay for the Cool Box.

As far as the common connectors, I have no idea where they are located. I paid for a subscription at topix.landrover.jlrext.com and downloaded all of the wiring diagrams at one point. Well, maybe not all. Perhaps there is another section there which tells you where each connector is located. I know there was something like that in the RAVE for my L322. It had photos of most of the connectors.

If you're ever driving around the NoVA area and see a Tonga Green LR3 with a Front Runner roof rack and lots of toys on top, that's probably me. I know there are a bunch of other LR3 owners in the DC area (here and on ExpoPortal), but I have yet to meet anybody in person! :P

Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I remember hearing that the cool box is rather troublesome and is notorious for causing issues like this since it is pretty high tech. Does it ever happen with the cool box off? I would think it might be the culprit.