LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Nav Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Nav Update

Just got the update CD, but read somewhere that it updates the vehicles firmware, and doesn't allow you certain access anymore.

Would love for someone to confirm this for me, and provide some more details!

Thanks,
Eric

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, that is true. Whenever you update to a newer Nav DVD, it typically includes a firmware update as well which is installed as soon as you insert the DVD. In the case of the LR3, I believe as of the 2008 update or somewhere around there (I forget the firmware version number) you lose the ability to use nav on the move with the "secret code". However, certain computer tools (such as the IID Tool) now offer the ability to unlock nav on the move with the newer firmware.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311
Just got the update CD, but read somewhere that it updates the vehicles firmware, and doesn't allow you certain access anymore.

Would love for someone to confirm this for me, and provide some more details!

Thanks,
Eric
Eric, I just did this update with the 2011-2012 map disc and I lost no features. If you do, hit me up and we'll see if I can restore your on the move functionality with my IID tool.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

we did lose the ability to access the nav while moving, what would this be under in the scanner? entertainment ecu?

what would happen if you put a movie in that instead of the nav disc?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This is from GAP Support:

The Nav On Move enabling procedure consists of 3 separate steps. It involves 2 Navigation unit reflashes and one CCF change. Each re-flash takes 34 minutes and the CCF write takes a few seconds. The total time for all 3 steps combined is around 70 minutes. For more details, please consult the user manual.

I think it's around page 60

DVD won't play in the NAV disc ready afaik.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Eric, I just did this update with the 2011-2012 map disc and I lost no features. If you do, hit me up and we'll see if I can restore your on the move functionality with my IID tool.
That would be appreciated! The update (from what I heard) BLOCKS certain IID Diagnostics. Which would then require you to take it somewhere to get it diagnosed with official LR Diagnostic tools

Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That would be appreciated! The update (from what I heard) BLOCKS certain IID Diagnostics. Which would then require you to take it somewhere to get it diagnosed with official LR Diagnostic tools
I don't believe that's the case. In fact Gap will tell you that's it's actually _required_ to update to a certain firmware before you can enable nav on the move.

I have the 2011-2012 Nav update and I have enabled Nav on the move with the IID tool and I can't think of anything that you lose besides the number hack (which is a result of the firmware update and not the IID tool).

As far as movie DVDs, you can't play movie DVDs from the Nav unit, but you can install a remote DVD player and hook it up to one of the inputs on the back of the screen. However, I believe in order to view the movie, you would need the GVIF unit or the ability to input the number hack... so I'm not sure how updating the firmware would affect this?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Update away ....

You can do the 2012 update with confidence that you will still have Nav on the Move after the update. This assumes that you already have the true Nav on the Move implemented with a IDII or similar software updater, a near two hour process as noted above.

I am also confident that if for some reason, a matter of routine, the Nav on the Move disappeared as a result of the 2012 update, that the GAP people would have a fix in place within a couple of weeks - yes, they are that good.

What you will loose, is that secret button number hack re the temporary Nav on the Move bypass but that does not matter as with the true Nav on the Move, you have freedom all the time. Actually that should be gone now if you did any previous Nav data updates.

Regardless, update away in confidence that the Gap Guru's will bail you out if you need it.

Incidentally the real problem is that you and the rest of us cannot purchase a 2015 update as LR regards us as not worthy of support. 2012 is as good as it gets.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Does the IID Tool adjust ride height? Ever since I installed Rhino Rods, the rear seems to be OVERLY high, and the front seems unchanged. Think you might be able to help a guy out one day!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Does the IID Tool adjust ride height? Ever since I installed Rhino Rods, the rear seems to be OVERLY high, and the front seems unchanged. Think you might be able to help a guy out one day!
Yes. The IID tool will let you calibrate the ride height, adjust the ride height, and save up to three custom height settings in addition to your original "backup" setting. It will also allow you to monitor a bunch of parameters like the height of each shock, the reservoir pressure, whether the pump is running, pump temp, etc.

Quick Reply: 2012 Nav Update