LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC leaks oil in connection joints in center and rear pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default AC leaks oil in connection joints in center and rear pipes

Hi guys .
Yesterday , while doing routine engine and front diff oil change, I discovered something nasty.
Every time my LR3 is on the jack stands , I try to look everywhere for irregularities and potential problems by gliding under the car with a flashlight and poke things around.As I was sliding along AC lines , by the air reservoir , I discovered wet substance on the AC pipe connection , also traveling upstream ,by the rear differential, there is another pipe joint , that looks wet as well. It feels oily and probably means , that I am loosing refrigerant and oil at the same time. By looking at the hose clams that hold AC pipes to chassis , I can conclude, that they are rusty as hell and could hold water behind the black insulation, causing aluminum AC lines to corrode, but right now the damage is visible by both connectors and be the primary suspect of this leak.

My question is , has anybody done a pipe replacement before, especially the rear one or even gained access to a connectors to change O rings ?
Has anybody replaced just O rings on AC pipe connector joints ?
Has anybody have any experience with dealer pricing and labor involved with pipe replacement and recharging the system ?
Since I have a rear AC upgrade LR3 ,Does anybody have any info regarding disconnecting the rear lines all together and switching to non rear AC front pipe and by pass the rear AC system entirely ?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Baja
Received 720 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by thorgal
Hi guys .
Yesterday , while doing routine engine and front diff oil change, I discovered something nasty.
Every time my LR3 is on the jack stands , I try to look everywhere for irregularities and potential problems by gliding under the car with a flashlight and poke things around.As I was sliding along AC lines , by the air reservoir , I discovered wet substance on the AC pipe connection , also traveling upstream ,by the rear differential, there is another pipe joint , that looks wet as well. It feels oily and probably means , that I am loosing refrigerant and oil at the same time. By looking at the hose clams that hold AC pipes to chassis , I can conclude, that they are rusty as hell and could hold water behind the black insulation, causing aluminum AC lines to corrode, but right now the damage is visible by both connectors and be the primary suspect of this leak.

My question is , has anybody done a pipe replacement before, especially the rear one or even gained access to a connectors to change O rings ?
Has anybody replaced just O rings on AC pipe connector joints ?
Has anybody have any experience with dealer pricing and labor involved with pipe replacement and recharging the system ?
Since I have a rear AC upgrade LR3 ,Does anybody have any info regarding disconnecting the rear lines all together and switching to non rear AC front pipe and by pass the rear AC system entirely ?

Thanks
No answers to your questions... But, I am parting out a non rear ac car and have been very gentle in preserving the AC lines. If you need any I can make you a good deal. Besides that, good luck!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for that, but I will try with new O rings first, this would be the cheapest approach for me now..

Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for that, but I will try with new O rings first, this would be the cheapest approach for me now..
Just remove and replace the o rings but make sure the system is de pressurized; er, I mean recovered, first. Do them all while you're in there. You can get a kit of various sizes at the parts store. Google viton o rings, those should be the ones...

Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

FYI, Harbor Freight sells a kit of Viton O-rings as well as a vacuum pump to draw moisture out of the system before charging it. They also sell a A/C pressure gauge kit. Convenient if you have one nearby...

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cmb6s
FYI, Harbor Freight sells a kit of Viton O-rings as well as a vacuum pump to draw moisture out of the system before charging it. They also sell a A/C pressure gauge kit. Convenient if you have one nearby...
I actually have plenty near by ...lol

Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Basically, once you think you've fixed all the leaks by way of new o rings, you pull a good vacuum on the system and see if it holds. I usually pull a vacuum for an hour and get 30 inches of mercury. Usually let it sit afterwards for about an hour too to make sure it doesn't change.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Rock Crawling

I think , this would be a good time to replace Receiver/ Dryer , right ?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling

I think , this would be a good time to replace Receiver/ Dryer , right ?
If the system is been open for while then yes, but sounds like you still have pressure so you don't really have to.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The drier replacement is a big effort. You basically have to remove the grill, headlights bumper cover and bumper to gain access. Again, as I mentioned on the other forum - if your AC is working, holding pressure, blowing cold, etc then I wouldn't recommend opening things up without a leak test.

Quick Reply: AC leaks oil in connection joints in center and rear pipes