LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a reverse camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding a reverse camera

Hey all!

I've been fooling around with my IID2 tool on my 2005 LR3 and after reflashing the BCM and suspension modules I found out that I can enable the reverse camera, venture/companion camera, and tv/dvd input to the navigation screen. I opened up my dash and pulled the navigation screen out and I have 3 video inputs I can use and according to the navigation wiring diagram this is where I can plug all this stuff up. My question is are the connections PALM connections? Oh, with the IID2 tool I can enable the traffic module, too, if I get one.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a reverse camera-img_00000024.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The screen can display both PAL and NTSC. I will say that just turning it on in the configuration, does not actually enable the feature, as the coding is not present in the IHU, and it is over-ridden.

But that is with the factory software, so if you get it to work, please share some details.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Drifting

I'm going to give it a try. Worse thing I can do is blow 20 bucks. Let you know in advance few days!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been a number of threads over on disco3.co.uk about this. Bottom line is you'll really need to invest in a GVIF unit. You can sort of get it to work with a hack (literally) for the Range Rover Sport on your nab screen but you'll get a very dark picture from what I read. As Dave correctly notes, merely turning it on in the CCF isn't going to get you there. Wishful thinking unfortunately.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The connection on the back of your head unit is a Fakra type connector. It needs to be a female type "Z".

The camera will display on the appropriate input by going into the diagnostics screen, but your nav will not automatically show camera when reversing. That requires some modification. One way is with a GVIF unit, which will cost more than $200. The other way is to run your navigation in Range Rover mode. Instructions can be found here:

DISCO3.CO.UK

I recommend not cutting the wire, but instead push/pull it out of the connector. That way you can re-insert it if you are not happy with running the nav in Range Rover mode. The screen brightness definitely goes down due to the ambient lighting sensor no longer being used., but soldering an appropriate diode onto the circuit board will correct this.

If I am not mistaken, your navigation DVD needs to be somewhat newer and the firmware on the nav unit needs to be up to date. Bottom line, it might just be easier to purchase a GVIF unit.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Drifting

I was wondering what kind of connector that was! Thanks! If it does not work with the IID2 tool then I may give the GVIF a try. I found them first a few weeks ago and will get one in the future so if this works or not I will not loose any thing. I can coil up the camera wire under the driver seat and when I get the GVIF then it will be easy. The reason I would get the GVIF is to mount TVs in the truck easier.