LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Sell or Not to Sell??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice on Sell or Not to Sell??

Hello All-
I am in a bit of a quandary, essentially sell my 06 LR3 with 154k or keep?
So I purchased her last June from a private party with 143k for $7200. She had fairly extensive maintenance records, which was reassuring, however, I have had nothing but problem after problem, all significant. In total it has been roughly 8k or $660 bucks a month in repairs. This does not include the new tires i put on which were necessary and labor costs saved by doing my own brakes. The problem is it brakes down when I am out of town which poses logistical issues adding to costs. I knew that there would be regular repairs, but not on this level.

What are your thoughts on Selling while I can, and getting a new LR3 with lower miles? I love the vehicle, and would like to keep, but I am aware of the 'sunk cost fallacy' and the latest replacement (water pump which happened 4 weeks after thermo & Housing) kinda tipped the scales.

All thoughts & opinions welcomed and encouraged.
Thanks!

Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Depends on what repairs you've done.

If it's 8k, but you've replaced the major things like gaskets, tranny pan, timing chain, etc it may be worth keeping as those are major failures that will happen sooner or later on any car.

End of the day go with your gut

Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

There’s no right answer here. You didn’t list the issues or what you spent 8k on.....so, I looked back at your posts. I saw shimmy over 50mph, thermostat/pump, axle seal, brakes and a check engine light. I was told the axle seals go when there is bearing wear. Did you rebuild the diff(s)? Not sure what the check engine light was? Related to the thermostat?
154k is no spring chicken. Parts are starting to wear out, especially suspension and steering. But, the truck has at least mostly bottomed out in value; assuming the engine doesn’t go. Most people like the 4.4l engine for its relative reliability. I’ve never bought a Land Rover that didn’t need a few thousand in parts the first year to get it reliable and all of the consumables to 100%. To be honest, I usually sink more money than the sale value into my vehicles, but working on them is therapeutic and I get to use my brain figuring out the problem, researching and then buying what I need.

The money has been spent and the value is about what you paid for it. It’s a great looking truck and maybe you’ve got it back in shape. I say drive it local for a couple of months to get some confidence back in it. Consider paying a local independent mechanic to spend an hour on it with you and you can tally up any other areas that are likely to go. Downside to that is you are obligated to disclose this at the time of sale.

I do everything that doesn’t require a lift or two people.

Now, if you had 10k in your pocket, what would you get for your money? I assume that you want an off road capable vehicle. Shop around, drive a Tacoma, 4Runner or a Jeep. See if you strongly prefer one or the other. I don’t think they compare to an LR3 for drive experience. The LR3 is roomy, drives well and is good looking. Even if you spend 20k on an LR4, there’s no guarantee that you won’t have the same issues at 100k+ miles, which is where most of them are at that price point.

Two things I do, avoid the dealer at all costs and shop eBay for low mileage OEM parts. Oh, and find an honest independent mechanic with lots of LR experience. They will know the issue before even popping the hood often!

if you were closer to me, I’d make you an offer on that truck! It’s sharp looking and has a lot of new parts that are wear items!

The following users liked this post:
jbullock78 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

You have over $15,000 in it. It’s a money pit. If you are making good money and don’t care to spend it, keep it. If money matters and you can’t keep spending anymore, sell it. The miles are only going to get higher and your money will disappear.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

2 OPTIONS
Spend absolutely zero money on this pig and drive it until it stops. Only problem is it sounds like it will stop for good tomorrow.

OR ...…….. I'd go with SEND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Mudding

Thank you all for your answers-
Yes I had the front suspension rebuilt, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing LF Air Spring and height sensors. I really like the size the feel and it is really capable off road. Engine runs like a top when it is getting coolant. The air compressor was replaced as well before I owned her (two years ago). A lot has gone into her by the previous owner and by me. The the rear diff will need, at least have new seals. I have the GAP Tool and it has been a help with various errors. Can do minor maintenance stuff, like replace brakes flush fluids. I wanted to do a transmission flush, I have all the fluid and replacement pan, but have not been able to afford it when I get these surprises that sap my finances and planning.
Thank you all for your input again, it has been quite helpful when researching issues.
I know its my decision alone sooo I have some thinking to do- I would like to get another LR3 because I just put new awesome tires on it! and would swap with newer LR3.
Again, i was just looking for other's experiences.
James~

Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have serious bucks it mine. 07 LR3. If it dies I will fix it till I run out of $$$. 140K now, just getting broken in.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple answer is its a complex vehicle and like all similar vehicles there are ones that seem to have issue after issue and others that just have the occasional item to be fixed. For you this ones seems to have fallen into the first category. My first LR3 was the same. My current has actually been pretty good and things that have gone wrong are nothing out of the norm, but have still cost a fair bit. I have no idea if the next thing to fail will be a transmission or a wheel weight. You seem to have done a lot of pretty significant repairs, so aside from regular maintenance issues and something catastrophic failing, personally I would keep it as its more of a known quantity. Personally if my tranny or engine ever decides to die I'll just list the truck for sale for parts as its not worth the time and effort to repair where I live.

If you buy a newer one there is absolutely no guarantee it will not crap out the day after any warranty runs out, of it may be even worse than the one you have now.

What is certain though is its a Land Rover and as such its a premium vehicle and costs to repair are always going to be higher than say a Jeep or something similar to that.

What you are paying for is the capability it offers, if that's not what you want, go with something like a Jeep. I've owned all sorts of 4x4s and while some are more reliable, less thirsty and less costly to own, none ever put a smile on my face when driving like a Land Rover - current new breed excluded - sorry, they now look like they came out of a jelly mold - especially the new Discovery

As perhaps to highlight my point, my first Land Rover, a P38 Ranger Rover HSE I owned in the UK back in 2006 was great truck, a few issues, but nothing serious. However, two weeks after I sold it the guy called me up and asked if I ever had the mpg go as low as 6! Hell no was my reply. Turns out the engine was toast, but there was no way to know that failure was about to happen - lucky for me that happened just after I sold it, unlucky for the new owner.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Thank you for your reply!
I am leaning toward your suggestion as it is a known quantity and I have learned quite a bit from it!
And I do like it :-)
James

Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I am in the market for a Land Rover/Range Rover product myself, however I did notice your VA plates. My understanding is the two shops if you are in Northern VA are Loudoun RoVa LLC - Virginia - USA and https://www.british4x4.com/. I have no experience with either one and am not affiliated with either one, but maybe consulting one on different needs in the future wouldn't hurt? We've all been in the "sell it or keep it" and personally for the truck I had (Nissan R50) I wish I had kept it. 50/50 chance you'll regret your decision. Best of luck OP

Quick Reply: Advice on Sell or Not to Sell??