LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Exhaust Vent Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020 | 08:55 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Air Exhaust Vent Location

Like the rest of you I'm dealing with suspension faults. The old "not venting" fault. I've just finished "rebuilding" the compressor. I didn't do it all because I definitely would have broken some bolts it was so corroded. Anyhow, I'm ready to put it back in but I'd like to check the location where the air actually vents out. It is proving to be an elusive location... Anyone know where air vents out? I've found in. I've found the exhaust valve on the compressor. Some compressors even have an attached exhaust filter. Not my Hitachi style... I'd love to know if there is a filter or something I can replace. Cheers.

Old 07-18-2020 | 12:25 AM
Rock Crawling

My understanding is that exhaust valve is where it vents and you need to make sure all the seals are good. In front of the compressor mounting is another valve that is solenoid operated that can get clogged.

Old 07-18-2020 | 12:33 AM
Camel Trophy

There is no need to concern yourself with exhausting really. The exhaust is the larger diameter outlet on the rear of the compressor. It goes into a tube and up inside the vehicle where it doubles back and exist very close to the compressor (look for an open tube above the compressor when removed). That same plumbing is used for an inlet with filter for the compressor. The filter is well protected and unless the vehicle had flood damage, should never be an issue.

If you are getting a none-venting fault, it can be a number of issues including faulty exhaust pilot solenoid.

Old 07-18-2020 | 06:32 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
There is no need to concern yourself with exhausting really. The exhaust is the larger diameter outlet on the rear of the compressor. It goes into a tube and up inside the vehicle where it doubles back and exist very close to the compressor (look for an open tube above the compressor when removed). That same plumbing is used for an inlet with filter for the compressor. The filter is well protected and unless the vehicle had flood damage, should never be an issue.

If you are getting a none-venting fault, it can be a number of issues including faulty exhaust pilot solenoid.

Thanks DakotaTraveler
I actually looked through the whole diagram that you posted on another thread. Can't believe I missed that. Doh! Anyway, downloaded it for future use. It's a good detail of the whole EAS. Thanks. My exhaust solenoid didn't show much in terms of wear. It did have a bunch of white dust that I cleaned out so hopefully that helps. Also, the rebuild kit I bought didn't have a replacement for the very small filter that is in there. That was kind of a bummer.

Old 07-18-2020 | 07:51 AM
Camel Trophy

Did you remove the exhaust valve piston and spring? There is a tiny little hole, if it gets clogged it will slow exhausting. This seems to crop up after the compressor has been handled ad all that darn white debris suddenly works it way around.

Old 07-18-2020 | 10:53 AM
|
Three Wheeling

I did the spring that is behind the flat plate next to the solenoid. I did not take any of the solenoid apart if that is what you mean. All back in and running. Took a drive and starting a new thread about some live readings I was getting.

Old 07-18-2020 | 10:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Plate comes off. Then under that the spring, like you saw. Then you also slide out the piston. You also remove the solenoid and the small exhaust plunger under the "bolt" head. Under that bolt head is a small spring and a rubber plunger that hardens and fails. But down inside are 6 little holes, they can clog too. So all that need a look over and any debris can impact venting.