LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud air release from EAS

Old 06-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Loud air release from EAS

Recently my '08 LR3 started to sound like a Mack truck when it was releasing air to self level. A loud burst instead of the usual controlled hiss. I pulled the compressor cover and found that the plastic threaded fitting from the exhaust valve to the exhaust line had split in two. For now I glued it back together and wrapped the circumference with racer's tape. I believe the replacement is John Guest p/n PM011012E (1/4" BSP to 10mm push fitting), will confirm when I get one in hand. This is for the AMK compressor BTW, not sure if it would be the same for Hitachi.

And as a PSA, check your desiccant. I changed mine in August 2018 and as of this month it was saturated again. I'm going to start checking it every 6 months... will be interested to see what it's like at the end of a dry summer. Guessing that one wet PNW winter is enough to saturate it. I'm using blue-indicating stuff I got from Amazon.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

The lines are indeed 8mm and 10mm with exhaust being the larger 10mm. Pretty sure the same sizes for both compressors.

Desiccant should not saturate unless you are getting water directly in somehow or the compressor is working overtime. Keep in mine that air entering the system also exits through the dryer during venting. So if you had bad desiccant before and the system itself got moisture in it, you may be seeing results of that excess purging out. Also the quaintly of the desiccant is important. Obviously some super inexpensive stuff may not hold up as well. Luckily changing it is not difficult. If I planned multiple changes, I would buy a nice tub of quality material to use.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Three Wheeling

I'd tend to agree with you, I was not expecting to see it fully saturated. The change in August of last year was first under my ownership, so I could still be siphoning off old moisture. I also neglected to mention that I replaced my air tank in November (pin hole leak), so during that period the compressor was indeed running more than usual, as well as having the interior of the system exposed to the environment (however minimally) through the air tank leak. I'm using Dry and Dry brand which people seem to like... are you aware of another brand or type that might be better? The only thing I don't like about it is that the 2-4mm granule size is larger than the ~1mm stuff that was in there originally, which means less overall volume of desiccant in the can. Anyway yep it is easy to check and I will be checking it often until I can nail down an interval that keeps it dry all the time.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Well when it comes to desiccants, there are several options. First you can even switch up the type. The factory is silica gel but you can go with other types, like montmorillonite clay which absorbs moisture at a much fast rate than even silica and does not expand (there is a reason that spring is inside the dryer). Also clay will shed moisture at warmer temps. But Ford went with Silca, so probably best to stick with that. But the next time I re-build my drier I will be putting clay at the nose and silica in the back at the spring to see how it works out.

Dry and Dry is fine. It that is what you are getting, no worries. BASF makes a product called Sorbead which I like. With our application, a horse a piece I suspect.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 06-14-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello I just changed my air compressor and I have the same loud pressure release

Hello and Happy New Year!

My 08 Lr3 makes the same noise on my new pump, can you please sent me a pic of what I need to replace or what did you replace?
Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by jagmandan
Recently my '08 LR3 started to sound like a Mack truck when it was releasing air to self level. A loud burst instead of the usual controlled hiss. I pulled the compressor cover and found that the plastic threaded fitting from the exhaust valve to the exhaust line had split in two. For now I glued it back together and wrapped the circumference with racer's tape. I believe the replacement is John Guest p/n PM011012E (1/4" BSP to 10mm push fitting), will confirm when I get one in hand. This is for the AMK compressor BTW, not sure if it would be the same for Hitachi.

And as a PSA, check your desiccant. I changed mine in August 2018 and as of this month it was saturated again. I'm going to start checking it every 6 months... will be interested to see what it's like at the end of a dry summer. Guessing that one wet PNW winter is enough to saturate it. I'm using blue-indicating stuff I got from Amazon.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear

My 08 Lr3 makes the same noise on my new pump, can you please sent me a pic of what I need to replace or what did you replace?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sakis321

Thanks in advance
Hi, It's the plastic fitting that adapts the threaded port to the push fitting. See this page: https://www.johnguest.com/product/me...-bsp-thread-8/

You can reference a schematic of the air system which is available on the disco3.co.uk galleries. I have a few extra so if it turns out that's what you need let me know via PM and I will mail you one for cost.

-Dan

Old 04-19-2023, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sakis321

Thanks in advance
I changed my compressor and I’m having the same issue. I get the loud noise of it spitting out air. Occurs shortly after startup sometimes or after I’ve turned the vehicle off. Where you able to fix your issue?

Old 04-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Three Wheeling

First thing to do is check fittings in the area. When my exhaust valve connector at the compressor failed it was obviously split in two.