LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension & Off Roading

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air Suspension & Off Roading

I've heard people say they would never take an air suspension equipped rover out to the middle of nowhere due to the risk of failure and then not being able to get back. The new Rovers North magazine is now advertising their spring convertion kit for exactly this reason. So, for someone like me who is strongly considering upgrading my DII to an LR3, is taking the truck out in the boonies with air suspension really as big of a risk as some make it out to be? Are there precautions you all take to mitigate the risk? For me, the air suspension is one of the cool things about a rover that makes it different from every othe truck on the road.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Yes...

Originally Posted by Columbiar
I've heard people say they would never take an air suspension equipped rover out to the middle of nowhere due to the risk of failure and then not being able to get back. The new Rovers North magazine is now advertising their spring convertion kit for exactly this reason. So, for someone like me who is strongly considering upgrading my DII to an LR3, is taking the truck out in the boonies with air suspension really as big of a risk as some make it out to be? Are there precautions you all take to mitigate the risk? For me, the air suspension is one of the cool things about a rover that makes it different from every othe truck on the road.
Mostly if you have an IIDTool you can keep the EAS happy. Not that many issues cause the EAS to deflate. Additionally if you are that remote and the terrain is not too technical you can pull the EAS fuses and be less exposed to EAS faults. I say this about the terrain technicality because going with one of these coil conversions diminishes the off-road capabilities of the LR3.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read several posts that mention bypassing parts of the EAS if need be to re-inflate your air suspension. I need to find those to learn more myself.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

If you have an IID tool (or something similar), then the only thing that will leave you stranded is a complete catastrophic failure (e.g. compressor completely fails, air bag or air line ruptures, etc.). IMHO, if you properly maintain your compressor, a catastrophic failure is a pretty rare occurrence assuming you don't bash it on a rock. Failure of an air line is extremely rare... not sure I've ever heard of it happening actually. Failure of a shock might be a little more likely as the vehicle ages, but still not anything I'd worry about out on the trail. Most of the errors that you experience are sensor issues, which can be easily overcome with the IID tool.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My old D2 blew a rear air bag about 50 miles north of I-80. Fortunately the bag blew off and wasn't damaged. Some siamesed hose clamps fixed it to get back. I put in rear OME's. My 99 Range Rover has springs. Don't need spare air bags, lines, compressor, etc. It's a bunch to worry about and a bunch of spares to carry. I don't need the hassle.

Now if I mainly drove it only on the street I'd possibly have the air suspension on it.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulling the air suspension on DIIs and Range Rovers is one thing but the LR3 system is pretty awesome. I don't want to lose the ability to raise and lower the suspension if I don't have to. Running a 2.5" Proud Rhino lift and having the ability to go up another 2" can't be beat.

Now if I could run a 4.5-5" lift all the time without tearing up the suspension? I would consider that.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Agreed, the LR3's EAS is vastly different than that of its predecessors. It's not just the raising and lowering that is a benefit, but to me most importantly, the cross-link valving. Without the EAS a wheel on the opposite side of a stuffed tire will just dangle in the air by its spring (via gravity) where by with the EAS that suspended wheel would get pushed down to seek ground via cross-linked air.

I didn't think much of this until I saw a picture of this at work (on my vehicle). Now I don't down-play the significance of this feature.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

EAS is reliable. IID tool or like is a must. In a pinch yes pull fuses, you can even open up the relay and manually force the air compressor to cycle but this is complicated. Once you understand the system it is fairly simple. Couple spare valve blocks maybe, a few fittings, a few struts in a really remote area. I can see the appeal of springs but I have not yet been let down by EAS. Plus it is nice leveling out the vehicle when it is loaded to the gills and still sits high and tight.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
EAS is reliable. IID tool or like is a must. In a pinch yes pull fuses, you can even open up the relay and manually force the air compressor to cycle but this is complicated. Once you understand the system it is fairly simple. Couple spare valve blocks maybe, a few fittings, a few struts in a really remote area. I can see the appeal of springs but I have not yet been let down by EAS. Plus it is nice leveling out the vehicle when it is loaded to the gills and still sits high and tight.
Blowing a bag or down on the bump stops with a 50 mile walk to the nearest highway will cure you.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I don't trust Rover air suspension, that was my tune before the LR3. That system is amazing and simply put works. Gap tool and I would drive it any where. Hell I'd adapt it for my 110 if I could.

If you want to neuter your LR3 I'll gladly give you a few bucks for the shipping cost for 4 good air struts and a compressor

Last edited by ArmyRover; 08-17-2016 at 06:40 PM.