LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Replacement Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default ....so you are one of the "boffins" then.

I understood there were a few of an "exalted" group of guys in the world who now have the NanoCom / Genesis hardware and are testing it out - like it or not, it sounds like you are one of them.

The system, and I call it a system is going to be a real positive for owners as it will give them an alternative to the dealer when it comes to the hard stuff - that is altering the software to resolve problem or just to update, which the dealers for the most part, will not do.

I would like to add the 3 flash and clock to my 2005 but am not really willing to go thru the learning curve; I would rather just tie my 3 to the internet and pay someone who knows how to do it.

Same with BlueTooth updates - none of the updating is all that easy until you learn how and then even then, it is not plug and play - just ask the dealers - they do not enjoy the experience either and that is with the official LR issue - actually the BlackBox stuff works better I think.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's actually for sale for the masses as of a few days ago. I just happened to have nanocom for d2, so when the d3 update came out I didn't have to wait for it to ship, I just paid for a license and downloaded the update. I did have to buy a new obd2 lead.

The update process looks pretty simple, I just don't want to pick the wrong file out of haste to play with the new toy.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Default please keep us informed

I imagine you will want to put the 3 flash and clock feature in your 2006. I think it was about 2008 before either option became standard.

Regardless, please keep us informed as you are one of very few to have the new system that I think will be of great use to all of us, once we learn of it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Clock, yes. 3 flash, I'm not sure. I've driven vehicles with it and since I wasn't expecting it I really hated it. But I can see if I got used to it I might change my mind.

So far nanocom is still leaps and bounds better than hawkeye. It reads error codes from many more modules and I don't have to switch dongles on the lead each time I scan a different speed canbus.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Default software availability is always the question

I agree that the 3 flash is not what one would call a must have; the clock on the other hand, that would be nice.

From reading on the BlackBox NanoCom site, it was not clear to me if either the 3 flash or clock software was yet available for use on the NanoCom. If so, then for me, it will be a wait for a while longer until such time as more features become available.

At least with the BlackBox stuff, you know the guys there are oriented towards Land Rover. This is fortunate as it is such a small market and we need all the help we can get.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

The 3 flash shows up in their CCF editor on their genesis website. Basically you make some changes to the "as-built" configuration, export it to a file, and upload it to the vehicle using nanocom.

I haven't attempted yet, because I was more interested in updating the software and because currently it doesn't seem like there is an option to download the current CCF from the car, only change the default CCF based on VIN. So in afraid of screwing something up. It wouldn't be too hard to fix, but I just wasn't ready to mess with the CCF.

You can play here:

Genesis Home

using the demo login of demo with the password of genensisdemo

It won't actually allow you to download any files though.

Turning the clock on, I think requires updating the instrument pack to the later 2008+ software. Which I'm still trying to figure out if I'm downloading the correct software... just to be safe. I think Monday I'll contact blackbox if no one on any of the forums knows. It IS pretty new.

Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Replacement Kits-3flash.jpg  

Last edited by jafir; 12-15-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Default thanks for the link

Thanks for the link as now I will experiment.

Yes, loading new software in never a for certain and to get the clock and the 3 flash, as you say, the 2008+ software is required.

For certain, it is a "take your time" kind of activity and it is not for the faint hearted.

Please keep us informed as you are definitely in the vanguard.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dms6601
How many miles did you have on your vehicle? Do you take it off road or are these miles through normal use?
Normal use only, & I have approximately 11th Kms.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

So I have been able to update my Ride Level module to what seems to be the latest software.

The nanocom and genesis website doesn't seem to have the same logic programmed into it that the Land Rover SDD system does, so sometimes it's just a guess if the software you are downloading is correct. Fortunately the systems seem to be created in such a way that you cannot easily "brick" them. Something about the boot loader code never gets erased, so you can always go back and try again. I've even experience where the module wouldn't let me install incorrect code.

It looks like sometimes the best solution is to just ask for help as to which code to load. Someone directed me to this post: DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - AMK compressor software version ?

So I've updated the Ride Level, Body Control, HVAC (no change), and I've attempted to update the Instrument pack.

The instrument pack has given me the most head-scratching. I was unable to find anything that matched either the hardware number or assembly number that was different than what I had and that would also install without errors. Finally I installed the code which seems to be for strange description of (-USA) w/ USA mph/kph speedo. Which I'm not sure why you'd want that. Anyway it installed, and it even enabled the clock on the dash, which wasn't exactly what I was trying to do (yet). It seems that there is a downfall to enabling the clock, and that is that this also enables an indicator that shows you that your headlamps are on. Except that the lights on indicator didn't exist in 2005 and 2006 LR3. So instead it turns on a light for the Fuel Burning Heater. Which is red, and MIGHT be annoying at night. So I flashed the thing back to previous code. Or at least what I think it previous code. I'm still not sure I'm up to speed on what is what.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Default yes, the red light goes on

As you said, the red light is supposed to be a green light and is on the +2008 models and shows a headlight instead of the fuel burning heater symbol.

Some guys have taken the instrument panel apart and soldered in a green LED, others just a piece of black electrical tape in the hole - that would be me I suppose as with daytime running lights, the headlights are near always on.

USA kinds of sounds like short form code for North America spec. We use kilometres and litres up here in Canada so our speedo has dual markings with KM the bigger digits of the two.

Thanks for the blow by blow description of your trials to date.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Replacement Kits