LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternating suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternating suspension fault

2006 LR3 w/ 110k miles, otherwise good condition. Last week my issue of waking up to a car on its stops resulted in a suspension fault and trip to the dealer. They replaced the compressor saying it was failing causing an overload and the fuse to pop. Fast forward a few days and got the yellow fault a couple of times but would clear after restarting and has been mostly normal. Today I got the yellow fault again followed after a short while by it turning red and getting the next level error message. This repeated on the drive about 5 or 6 times. Any idea what might trigger this back and forth behavior, maybe a height position sensor or similar?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Where do I start?

What is a "next level fault?"

Understand that dealers love to throw expensive compressors at simple problems and if you go in ignorant you're gonna come out poor. It's likely you had a suspension leak. There are tried n true methods to determine where it is coming from and all the solutions are cheaper than a new compressor. Also it would behoove you to buy an IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. That could have told you the problem. Usually a red fault is an issue with the suspension calibration.

So I would call the the dealer and make an appointment saying that your EAS calibration is wonky. In the meantime I'd order an IIDTool, do a search on this forum to find out about suspension air leaks, and figure out what your issue is. Then take it to the dealer with KNOWLEDGE and make them fix it.

Last edited by houm_wa; 02-27-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 721 Likes on 606 Posts

You need codes.

Yellow faults are minor inferred faults that usually do not result is a total shutdown of the system but may disable manual height controls, etc. Basically the system expects something to happen, such as venting, and it does not. So it does not lower as expected and the system used the sensors to infer that something is wrong - because the vent itself is not monitored.

Red faults are confirmed hard faults. These are monitored conditions and often involve the compressor but can be anything else monitored that has completely gone out of spec. If a compressor draws too much amperage or does not fire up as it should. Or if a hight sensor is so out of spec compared to the rest. Or if gallery pressure does not build at all or reads too hight. Its basically a confirmed issue that is critical enough to totally halt and disable the system. In some cases it may even dup straight to the bump stops.

Without codes its a guess.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. By next level fault I meant it went from yellow to red and kept alternating every 20 seconds or so. Prior to the compressor being replaced I only had a yellow fault and the car would not raise at the front.

I'm going to order the tool, was trying to hold off but based on your comments I'll get better informed. I was wondering if there was one typical type of issue that might result in the yellow-red-yellow and again sequence (like a short or something similar). Will see what it shows. Thank you again.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Red fault

...did you get that at speeds over 45mph maybe?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:48 PM
Three Wheeling

First instance was right around that speed then continued to happen mostly around 30mph or so.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy

What did the information display say, if anything?

Old 02-28-2020, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Yellow gave me a message that said suspension fault. When it lit red it popped a message of suspension fault and speed limited to 30mph.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy

You really need to read codes, using a legit scanner like the GAP Tool.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:16 AM
Mudding
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoLR
Thanks to both of you for the feedback. By next level fault I meant it went from yellow to red and kept alternating every 20 seconds or so. Prior to the compressor being replaced I only had a yellow fault and the car would not raise at the front.

I'm going to order the tool, was trying to hold off but based on your comments I'll get better informed. I was wondering if there was one typical type of issue that might result in the yellow-red-yellow and again sequence (like a short or something similar). Will see what it shows. Thank you again.
You ever get this figured out? I'm having the same issue and have been working it non-stop without a fix yet. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alternating suspension fault