LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:11 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alternator problems

HI I have a LR Disc TDV6 GS a 2007 (57 plate). Have just had it serviced on return went fine until went to start it one morning and it would not start. thought the battery was flat so charged up and started fine but after running a few minutes it just cut out again. so called RAC they tested battery, it was fully charged. Alternator showed an output of 11 instead of, I believe he said it should be, around 14????? Does this mean my alternator has gone or could it just be a loose wire or something? Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice they could give me. I have just had it back from the dealership just about a month after a full service and various repairs at a humongous cost, so would like to be more informed before sending it back. Land rover does very little work just about 15 miles max a day on roads. So definately not battered or worn out. Only purchased it just over a year ago and was told it was only lightly used and like new?????? from main dealership.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Battery fulled charged but sick alternator?

About all I can do is refer you to my album on the link below. There are a number of files related to the alternator lower down on the page.

The only comment you made that bothered me was you said you only drive about 15 miles a day. That would suggest the battery never gets a chance to fully charge but you said the battery is charged so ...

About all I can suggest that costs nothing is regardless, put your battery on a trickle charger all night or all day for at least a week. While that sounds dumb, the battery may only appear to be fully charged - they can, and about the only way to guarantee a full charge is to take a week of nights and charge it slowly.

Within the alternator is what is called a smart regulator - but it is dumb; also the alternator can be OK but the internal regulator sick - but that is academic as it means a new alternator anyway.

Also if there is a alternator problem, then regardless of what someone's test meter indicates, the battery would most likely not be fully charged.

Of course the problem could be the starter motor so what do the headlights look like at night - bright or kind of dim - do they get brighter as one revs up the motor - they should not but ....

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous