LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze/Coolant type?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Antifreeze/Coolant type?

I have a new to me 2006 lr3 V8 that needs the coolant topped off. I was wondering what type of coolant to use, just dexcool or something else? I live almost 2 hours from a dealer so I really don't want to drive that distance for coolant if I can just buy some at a auto parts store.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

LR3 uses dexcool. I've not heard of any problems with the crusting up like the D2, so most people just continue to use the dexcool. I have read some stuff about heater cores getting partially blocked, but I don't know if it's related or not.

How many miles are on it? If it's got quite a few, then it might be time to flush anyway, and maybe you could use something else in it.

But just topping off, I'd used dexcool.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Mudding

It has 93,000 miles since I have owned it I have done transmission fluid/pan change, new diff fluid(lucky me I have rear locker), transfer case fluid, all new filters, new break light switch, used sea foam once and always put premium fuel in it. I am going to do a oil change this week with castrol edge, wix filter and use the BG EPR & MOA kit as well.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Chevron Texaco Havoline XLC coolant, orange in colour.

The LR recommended coolant is Chevron Texaco Havoline XLC, the orange coloured stuff.

Below is from a Chevron product brochure. Note that the Chevron XLC meets GMs DexCool specs but I am not convinced that putting GM DexCool in your aluminum engine is quite the same thing.

What you are really after is corrosion protection. Yes, freeze up in the winter matters but what you really want is corrosion free heater cores and open engine block channels not plugged with the results of corrosion.

Rather than just topping up, you might consider a total empty and refill with new fluid in order to renew the corrosion resistance of the fluid. A maximum of five years or 150,000 miles is all Chevron thinks their fluid is good for.

DELO is Chevron's trade name in North America of the XLC. Below is a link to a product page.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

Below is the product description for the Caltex Havoline XLC, the same as the DELO stuff.

Description

Havoline Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant (XLC) is a cooling fluid and corrosion inhibitor for combustion engines

and heat transfer systems. Havoline XLC is an ethylene glycol-based fluid that provides maintenance-free protection

against freezing, boiling and corrosion. With patented silicate-free aliphatic acid technology, Havoline XLC provides

long-life corrosion protection for all engine metals, including aluminum and ferrous alloys. During extensive fleet

testing Havoline XLC has proven to provide protection for at least 32,000 hours.

Typical Characteristics

Code 030379 (7994)

Ash content, mass %, ASTM D 1119 1.1

Nitrite, amine, phosphate, borate, silicate Nil

Color: Orange

Density at 20°C, kg/l, ASTM D 1122 1.113

Equilibrium boiling point, °C, ASTM D 1120 172

Reserve alkalinity (pH 4.5), ASTM D 1121 20.4

Storage stability at 20°C 3 years

50% dilution 33% dilution

pH, ASTM D1287 — 8.3

Foaming at 25°C, break time, sec., ASTM D 1881 5 —

Freeze protection, °C –40 –20

Effect on non-metals, GME 60 255 None None

Staining characteristics, ASTM D 1882 — None

Hard water stability, VW PV 1426 No precipitate —

Recommended Uses

Havoline XLC provides long-life freeze and corrosion protection. To ensure good corrosion protection it is

recommended to use at least 33 volume percent of Havoline XLC in solution. Havoline XLC may be used in engines

manufactured from cast iron, aluminum or a combination of the two metals, and in cooling systems made of aluminum

or copper alloys. Havoline XLC is compatible with most other ethylene glycol-based cooling water treatments. The use

of soft water is preferred for dilution, though lab testing has shown that acceptable corrosion results are still obtained

with water of 20°dH, containing up to 500 ppm chlorides and 500 ppm sulphates. Havoline XLC has been approved by

the following engine builders: Deutz/MWM (0199-2091), MAN Diesel (D36 5600), Wärtsilä Switzerland, Rolls-Royce

(2.13.01), Wärtsilä Finland (32-9011) and Caterpillar-MaK (A4.05.09.02). Havoline XLC meets or exceeds the following

specifications: ASTM D3306 and D4656/4985, BS 6580, and NATO S-759.

Performance Benefits

1. Environment

The carboxylic acids are environmentally friendly.

2. Corrosion Protection

Provides long-life protection against all forms of

corrosion on all metals including the aluminum heat

transfer surfaces contained in modern engines.

3. Cavitation Protection

Offers excellent cavitation protection without using

nitrite or nitrite-based supplemental coolant additives

(SCAs).

4. Seal Compatibility

Has no adverse effect on rubber hoses and gasket

materials as shown in testing a wide range of seal

materials.

5. Heat Transfer Efficiency

The carboxylic acid inhibitor forms a single layer of

protective molecules on the metal surfaces, thus

providing a very efficient heat transfer.

6. Economics

Corrosion protection and low additive depletion results

in less maintenance and repair costs.

Last edited by bbyer; 12-30-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The Land Rover dealer will put dexcool in your 3 if it's out of warranty, I've heard that from a tech. He said they only use the Land Rover bottles for stuff that's is being paid for by Land Rover.

But if it makes you feel better, I buy havoline brand dexcool ;-)

Old 12-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Default a bit like the tranny oil

Yes, the coolant spec is a bit like the tranny oil spec concern.

Given that Ford now installs license built ZF tranny's in most of their vehicles, it seems to me that the half price Ford tranny oil should be fine as well.

Re the coolant, I think the question is one of the design of the corrosion inhibitors. I think that is what the words "silicate free" are all about.

How it is that Land Rover always seems to somehow incorporate some twist in every design such that norms seem not to prevail always puzzles me. As such, I think the colour thing, orange, matters as I expect the manufacturer is trying to tell us something - and yes, I am happier with the word Havoline. Thanks for the reply.

Of course, the bigger problem with the cooling system is how to get the air out so that one does not melt the aluminum due to air locks. Given the number of little hoses in the cooling system, I guess that is why it air locks seemingly everywhere and just not at the heater cores.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Dex-cool Zerex what my dealer sells , if they run out of oem fluid.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Yes, Zerex is probably OK.

I actually think the Zerex brand coolant is OK.

I see per the link below that Valvoline mentions that Zerex is both phosphate and silicate free.

When ones clicks on the FAQ links within, they have a interesting comment on mixing of different brands of fluids. Colour they say in a qualified manner, does not matter, (assuming the colour is not green or yellow per below), but composition does. Organic seems to be the magic word.

https://valvoline.com/products/consu.../antifreeze/41

ZEREX™ DEX-COOL® antifreeze coolant contains no phosphates, silicates, borates, nitrates, amines and nitrites.

Its global formulation meets the phosphate-free requirements of
European automobile manufacturers and the silicate free requirement of Asian automobile manufacturers like Toyota, Scion, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Isuzu and others. It can be mixed with any DEX-COOL® and is approved by Opel, Dae Woo and Saab.

It is dyed orange to distinguish its unique chemistry from traditional green and yellow silicate coolants.

Last edited by bbyer; 12-31-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added comments re colour
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Talking

Thank you guys for the replys, I ended up using Zerex Dex-cool on the back of the bottle it did show that it was safe for Rovers. I do plan on doing a flush in the near future though.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Default appreciate the post

Thanks for letting us know.

I will find a jug and read the back of it as well.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze/Coolant type?