LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Installed an ARB Rear Locker on LR3

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Okay but you didn't confirm my assumption. Is your LR3 HD? I can see that difference being similar, maybe slightly less.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Okay but you didn't confirm my assumption. Is your LR3 HD? I can see that difference being similar, maybe slightly less.
Oh yes it is HD.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy

So, if the other LR3s on the trail have all done what you have done, what are you comparing against to determine you don't need as much momentum or have less wheel slip?

PS - Please don't take this as me picking at your theory; I'm truly just interested in the differences that a front-locker would make, because I've always wondered myself.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Three Wheeling

We have video footage of several LR3s including mine, attempting the same obstacles. And my rig is a slow crawl over, and the other rigs you can see the front tires alternating spinning or the truck stop completely. The difference hasn't been earth shattering, but noticeable anyway

Old 11-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Camel Trophy

...but you said the other LR3s all have done what you have done. OH wait! You mean having done the obstacles? I read it as having done the same mods.

I'd love to see the vids. Where the other LR3s HD as well? Do you know?

I wanna see fully locked (front and rear) versus HD. Similar tires. Am I asking for too much?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling

So I just had a definitive answer to the utility of the front locker. There was a snowstorm in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I was on a side road and I stopped to help a BMW that had slid off the road. As soon as I came to a complete stop, the road must have been canted to one side, because the whole truck slid into the bank. I was unable to free the truck, until I engaged the front locker, then I was able to get enough traction and move

Old 11-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Definitive indeed. So how much did this bad boy cost you?

(of course this comes about now that I am more interested in overlanding than real hardcore wheelin'...go figure)

Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Drew, if you join us on the Rubicon run next month we'll have plenty of opportunity to compare your locker against my non-locker in the snow.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling

I will be on that trip! However you will have the superior tire set-up...it will be interesting to see though

As for the cost of the unit...Short story: 1900

Long story: I had my front diff go out on me, and I planned to rebuild it and upgrade with the locker, however I could not for the life of me find a replacement crush sleeve. All the parts kits did not include one, the dealership couldn't get one, and every differential place I contacted couldn't get one. Finally I contacted Centurion differentials/4x4 Outfitters to ask where they got theirs, and they import them from a company in South Africa. They weren't willing to re-sell me one, but they were willing to send me a rebuilt front diff with air locker already installed for only the additional price of the locker, no additional labor fees above the rebuild labor cost. If I remember correctly their labor rate came out to about 400 dollars, which having set up differentials before is actually a really good price. Still not having a crush sleeve, and faced with having to lathe my own crush sleeve elimination kit. I chose to buy one from Centurion differential. The air locker diff is not listed on their website but if you phone them they will be able to set you up. As an aside it loks like they have raised their prices 100 dollars...But regardless minus the crush sleeve you are looking at 1500 in parts if you undertake the project yourself

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelatore
Drew, if you join us on the Rubicon run next month we'll have plenty of opportunity to compare your locker against my non-locker in the snow.
Snow is interesting. This is one of those occasions where if the conditions are right -- it's actually a benefit to NOT have lockers.

On a slippery surface that is slightly offcamber, it can be beneficial to not have lockers at all, simply because if one wheel isn't spinning it's acting as more of a brace to the pull of the side.

My club had done a run in some good deep snow -- some of the unlocked guys faired better (once they got rolling, of course) simply because of that off camber sliding toward trees...

Someday, I'll make a trek out to Moab.

Dave

Quick Reply: Anyone Installed an ARB Rear Locker on LR3