LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux battery I. left side

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Aux battery in left side battery box

I want to add a second battery (just got a present from Traxide). Problem is the main battery compartment allows for a battery 12 Inches long, but the left compartment will only allow a 9 battery 9 inches long.

Any ideas on the battery size?

Will a physically smaller battery be a problem?

Last edited by Rufflyer; 12-20-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I ended up putting an Optima Blue Top in there with the Traxide system. I can post pictures of how I did it if you're interested, but the Blue Top fit perfectly. A little nervous at first because the positive battery post is very close to the tie down cross member and I didn't want to short anything, but I just put a rubber boot over the blue top terminals just in case.

And before anybody asks, I went with a blue top because I only planning on running accessories off of that battery. I never plan on using it for cranking... other than perhaps jumping the primary battery to start the car, which is different from actually BEING the cranking battery. Therefore, blue top fit the bill.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default battery will have to be shorter but keep the height about the same

You are correct, the battery will have to be shorter, and yes, for the most part, a physically smaller battery means somewhat less capacity. Try to choose a battery that is about the same height, (7.5") as the original re use of the LR stock tie down bolts and has the same Euro / Din recessed top post setup design.

As to how much it matters, that depends upon what the primary use of the battery is.

For me, the Aux battery install was just to add engine starting capacity due to cold weather; for others it is for running a fridge overnight. These are two very different uses and hence affect the type of battery you purchase.

For starting the engine, you want to use the same design of battery that LR uses, (wet flooded lead acid); that is what I call a shallow cycle and others call an engine starting battery; for extended periods of light draw, you purchase a deep cycle design of battery commonly called a marine battery.

About a year ago, I had to replace my original Aux battery and this time I installed a BCI Group 47, aka DIN sized H5, Interstate. This height battery uses the stock battery tie downs sent with the Traxide kit. Being able to use the LR stock tie downs helps makes the install quite easy. You might get an H6 to fit but I think you will have trouble with some tie down ribs located at the bottom of the battery on the ends. I did not want to grind anything on either the battery or on the LR battery surround.

The link below is to some files related to my Traxide install. The Caterpillar battery size pdf I found very useful as it also shows post locations and tie down ribs etc. Also I suggest that you stick with the recessed post Euro / DIN battery top design; it helps the cables fit better and then the cover can go back on and all looks stock.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Traxide Dual Battery install in LHDrive

Old 12-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Found the info got the battery

bbyer,
That was exactly what I needed. I found your gallery on the other forum and bought an H5 battery (bci47 size). I got the kit from traxide istalled. I must say the complete kit from Tim and the crew sure made it a VERY simple install once the correct battery was in place. It is evening and I was so busy installing, I did not take any pictures. I will try to pull the covers off and get a few snapshots. As a note I moved the power cables that power my ham radio to the aux battery on the left side, if for no other reason than it was a way to shorten the cables about 5 feet so there is less power loss to the ham radio.

All in all, and smooth I stall. As with most projects on my LR3, you guys have all the answers.

Again, thanks

Jeff