LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery light, 2005 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They did say something about warranting the alternator when I was talking to them earlier. But, they were talking about me having to buy another alternator and if they find that the one I just bought from them is bad after it is sent to the mainland (continental US) they would reemburse me. Sounds like a dog and pony show to me.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had the alternator tested?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Drifting

I am getting that done at the shop I talked about earlier. I want proof that it's bad so I can tell LR that it is so they can get me another one without me having to pay for it. They are also charging me waaaaaaaaaay less than LR is talking about doing it for.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilky1978
I am getting that done at the shop I talked about earlier. I want proof that it's bad so I can tell LR that it is so they can get me another one without me having to pay for it. They are also charging me waaaaaaaaaay less than LR is talking about doing it for.
Troubleshooting correctly should reveal any bad grounds as well. If the battery and alternator are good, and the power output is clean, then a bad ground is the next most likely candidate- expecially in a corrosive ocean climate like Hawaii.

Dave

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Drifting

The ground on my battery is very clean, nothing gets into the battery box. Where is another ground(s). I agree, living in this salty place is a pain in the butt. Surprisingly, my truck isn't too bad at all from the salt. I don't live that close to the water. I have posts about water leaking into my cab. Is there a chance that the water that has leaked into the truck maybe shorted something out causing all of this commotion? All of the ECUs and stuff are waterproof aren't they? I would think they are since this vehicle can be forded in water. Just a thought . . .

Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Mudding

I doubt they are "water proof"...probably water resistant. Not made for constant water contact, but more for a splash here and there.

I know on my old Durango to get a trouble code you'd do something with the key in the ignition, like back from I to II real quick 3 times and in the ODO it would display the code.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Drifting

I'm not getting any codes in my information display area. Just "check brakes" because I need to change my rear brake sensor. That's it. Otherwise, I don't know how to get fault codes on this thing. Do you know how to reset the service display, I just changed my oil and stuff myself not to long ago and don't know how to reset that and start the "count down" for the next service reminder. Is that something only the dealer can do, or any shop can do? I didn't see anything in my owner's manuel on how to retrieve fault codes and reset service reminder.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Mudding

Sure it isn't the same reset button that the trip odo is? I'll go check it out and see what I get...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Mudding

For the service reminder, try this:
Put it on on (so mode II), and press the gas pedal all the way down 3 times within 7 seconds. Turn it off, and start it up, and the light should go away in a few seconds.

That's what my Cartalk (Click and Clack) calendar says to do...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Thanks bro, you and the other guys are being a huge help to me.

Quick Reply: Battery light, 2005 LR3