LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminal causing faults ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Battery terminal causing faults ?

Hey guys , so I was having an issue with suspension faults appeasing on the dash .... I read almost every thread on solutions and remedies (great stuff)
And I can to the conclusion I would take a look at the compressor and dryer today , as I was building up to tackle lingo this job I thought I would put in my new air filter first and build up to removing and servicing the compressor. As I was replacing the filter I noticed the positive connector to the battery was very loose, I replaced it and surprise surprise it seems to have eliminated the suspension fault ... It makes sense that it would .... Am I correct ?
Would a loose connection to the battery cause the compressor to trigger a fault and to overheat ?? Thanks all

Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The compressor overheat, or the engine overheat? Either way, no.

Bad battery contacts can cause strange voltages, which can cause the electronics to do even stranger things, such as throw up suspension faults.

Is the fault light on constant, or does it come on shortly after startup?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Drifting

It's was the yellow suspension fault indicator
Then it disappeared within minutes , the the red fault flashed for a brief second disabled special functions said to reduce speed then went out after 5 minutes , then it said vehicle raising slowly. After the vehicle was turned off it reset the faults within 10 mins the yellow suspension fault flashed for 30 seconds and disappeared, about 30 km later red fault came on again and went away in 2 mins and said vehicle will raise when cooled. .?
Keep in mind this was all happening prior to replacing battery connector
Once that was done I haven't seen the warning since ? Very weird Dave , have you ever seen this ? The yellow light flashed for less than a minute after about 20 mins of driving right when I turned the music up and seat heater on .... Lol
Thanks !

Old 12-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldn't think you could have a bad connection at the battery that would cause enough of a volt drop and overheat your compressor motor, yet still be a good enough connection to crank the engine.
That said, a faulty connection causing volt drop will cause a motor to overheat. Also dim lights, but that actually makes the bulbs last longer, opposite of when a motor overheats from low voltage.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, it gets weird. If you're only getting 9V to the compressor, it won't be working as well as it should, which can easily give you the faults, and the raising slowly message.

I would say get the terminal taken care of, make sure the battery is fully charged, and see what happens.

If the faults come back, address them as they do, but if it hasn't been changed anytime recently, or ever, I would probably still replace the dryer, it is almost maintenance on this vehicle.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Makes sense ! Thanks
Now with the dryer is that a serviceable part ? I have read some of the forums on servicing it by removing the silica beads and cleaning them ?
Also could the moisture and altitude change have any affect on these warning light ? Keep in mind from Edmonton (1400 feet above sea level) too Vancouver (10 ft above sea level) plus the -40 too +10 temperature change could have played a roll ?
It almost literally happened when I came thru the mountains .

Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't waste your time repairing the drier. I tried. There are filters in each end that get plugged up, so just replacing or recharging the silica won't work. I ended up replacing mine after wasting money trying to fix it.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Oh really ? Is it just the one dryer ? Where is it located in relation to the pump ? I also heard servicing the compressor ie replacing the o rings
Is this a smart thing to do ?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default beads turn to dust

The link below is to some jpg's in my air compressor album.

The sort of cylinder like black thing about 3inches long in one of the jpg's is the air dryer.

Yes, it is probably best just to purchase a brand new air dryer than fuss about trying to get new beads or drying same.

Also Edmonton is so dry that I doubt moisture is a problem, however the beads do turn to dust; hence drying them out is not practical - new beads or total replacment of the dryer assembly is the solution.

When the beads turn to dust, the filters etc get plugged.

Also Edmonton, YEG is about 2,400 ft; Calgary, CYYC 3,400 ft and yes, Vancouver, YVR like LAX and SFO, is near below sea level.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Broken Air Compressor RQG500060

Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep. Just the one drier as far as I know. It is attached to the compressor.

There is a valve kit with new valves, springs, and o-rings, I'll see if I can find the part number.

Quick Reply: Battery terminal causing faults ?