LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best All Season 19"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure where you live but unless you rarely get snow or ice in the winter or temps that get below 40F, an all season tire will be a compromise.

Best I ever found was the Michelin LTX that I had on a Grand Cherokee over 10 years ago... tried them out again before buying the Bridgestones and found the new formulation to be very loud on road.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Here is what I do, and I know this won't work for everyone:

I have Goodyear MT/Rs on 18" SE rims that I use March - October. That is when I do most wheelin' and camping. I don't drive the Rover much anyway so wearing out those tires is not a concern.

I also have a set of 19" HSE rims and on those I have Nokian Hakkepellii...oh nevermind, Hakkas. I've had them in pretty deep snow, maybe 18" but certainly more than a foot and they perform as if they are big ol' mud tires. On packed snow and ice they are the best.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Not sure where you live but unless you rarely get snow or ice in the winter or temps that get below 40F, an all season tire will be a compromise.

Best I ever found was the Michelin LTX that I had on a Grand Cherokee over 10 years ago... tried them out again before buying the Bridgestones and found the new formulation to be very loud on road.
So you are saying if we never get snow then all seasons are compromise?
Yea then would probably get a road tire. But its tough to have a do all tire.
Really need 3 sets. 1. Pure winter 2. Pure road 3. Off road and a love of jack stands and swapping tires.

I live in Michigan, cold, snow, ice etc. I think All weather might be the ticket. Street tires for summer and winter tires would be best but changing 2x a year gets old + storage or tires and rims just not in the cards.

The Perrelli I have really are fine I might get them again as they have not let me down. The Nokians sound like they will be maybe a lil worse than the perelli in the summer but much better in the snow/ice. Could be a step sideways but they look like a decent tire.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Yea for your use I think you have done it perfectly. I almost went that route but I don't camp and go to the cottage like the old days. Don't offroad much anymore either. Don't have the room for extra tires.

The Goodyear look like a great off road tire. I am afraid I would not put them to proper use.

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Here is what I do, and I know this won't work for everyone:

I have Goodyear MT/Rs on 18" SE rims that I use March - October. That is when I do most wheelin' and camping. I don't drive the Rover much anyway so wearing out those tires is not a concern.

I also have a set of 19" HSE rims and on those I have Nokian Hakkepellii...oh nevermind, Hakkas. I've had them in pretty deep snow, maybe 18" but certainly more than a foot and they perform as if they are big ol' mud tires. On packed snow and ice they are the best.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like you understand the pros/cons perfectly!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Sounds like you understand the pros/cons perfectly!
Its all clear as mud man.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Winching

Michigan man.. you need proper winter tires. All seasons begin to harden up around 40 degrees and offer no real snow or ice traction. These trucks are HEAVY and need a proper ice/snow radial tire to safely stop you or keep you in between the ditches once the temps start to drop.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Michigan man.. you need proper winter tires. All seasons begin to harden up around 40 degrees and offer no real snow or ice traction. These trucks are HEAVY and need a proper ice/snow radial tire to safely stop you or keep you in between the ditches once the temps start to drop.
That's when a Nokia WRG 3s or WRG 2's cut in. Perfect all Weather tire, NOT all season. The only winter tire that let's you use it all 12 months without melting away above 40 F.
I had WRG2 s on my LR3 and wife Civic, Rottivas for 80 000 miles and currently running WRG 3s on 19 s and Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on 18 s as an off road rubber.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Winching

Had the Hakkapelittas years ago and was impressed... getting the Blizzaks from a local dude that got rid of his Rover. Any one have experience with Vederstein's?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thorgal
That's when a Nokia WRG 3s or WRG 2's cut in. Perfect all Weather tire, NOT all season. The only winter tire that let's you use it all 12 months without melting away above 40 F.
I had WRG2 s on my LR3 and wife Civic, Rottivas for 80 000 miles and currently running WRG 3s on 19 s and Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on 18 s as an off road rubber.
Yes agree nothing beats a true winter tire. But WRG3 are going to be much better than my Perelli in the winter and thats not true about offering no snow traction. How can I driving through 12" of snow easy if I had no grip?

Less grip yes than a true snow but not zero grip. Better grip than any car on the road.

Last edited by RAJOD; 10-05-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Best All Season 19"