LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Blowing Hoses

So, I posted a few weeks back after my upper radiator hose blew. I replaced the hose and did the thermostat while I was in there. Took some time to get the system full but I eventually figured out.

Car ran just fine for a few weeks.

Last weekend I left the dog in the car, running, ac on(little warm for the pooch. ).

As I'm buying my mulch at lowes a women says "does anyone own a silver rover ? It's smoking and there is a dog in there ".

I dart out to the lot and a good-doer had turned the rover off. Dog sitting there like nothing going on as the car steamed. (Of course people were ready to call PETA on me but).

I had her towed home and started to fill her and bring her to temp so I could see where the leak was. It wasn't obvious based on where the coolant was but the coolant was at the very high end of the engine bay.

Turns out it's coming from the hose that goes into the fire wall; something to do with rear climate , as per my research. It looks fairly straight forward.

All hoses are original. I'm at 209k. Coincidence that the hoses went so closely together ? Could it be an underlying issue and if so, can a layman like me do anything to test that theory?

This is my kick-around vehicle now and I've got an attachment to it. She really was good to me for 203k miles. Hard to be mad at her.

Thoughts ? Thanks, gents.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I guess I'd just change all the hoses. I had mine changed at 100K or so, before my trip to the Yukon Territory (it's cold up there). I have to think that after so many years and miles they'd get pretty chewed up. Maybe the connection just gave....

Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

What year is your LR3? Age tends to be harder on these hoses than mileage. How did the hoses fail, disintegrating/splitting? In the middle of the hose or at the connection?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I have to think that where you live and whether or not it's stored in a garage also matters...mine has lived a pretty cushy life up here in the temperate (but rainy) PAC NW in a garage for all 12 years. Only when I'm out wheelin' does it get worked hard.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, the culprit is a plastic tee on one of the hoses that leads into the firewall. The hoses are quick disconnect. Just pinch and pull. I ordered the hoses today from Atlantic British. Hopefully this is just a failure of hoses due to wear and tear, and not an underlying issue.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hFOzd

QUOTE=mirepoixmatt;608966]So, I posted a few weeks back after my upper radiator hose blew. I replaced the hose and did the thermostat while I was in there. Took some time to get the system full but I eventually figured out.

Car ran just fine for a few weeks.

Last weekend I left the dog in the car, running, ac on(little warm for the pooch. ).

As I'm buying my mulch at lowes a women says "does anyone own a silver rover ? It's smoking and there is a dog in there ".

I dart out to the lot and a good-doer had turned the rover off. Dog sitting there like nothing going on as the car steamed. (Of course people were ready to call PETA on me but).

I had her towed home and started to fill her and bring her to temp so I could see where the leak was. It wasn't obvious based on where the coolant was but the coolant was at the very high end of the engine bay.

Turns out it's coming from the hose that goes into the fire wall; something to do with rear climate , as per my research. It looks fairly straight forward.

All hoses are original. I'm at 209k. Coincidence that the hoses went so closely together ? Could it be an underlying issue and if so, can a layman like me do anything to test that theory?

This is my kick-around vehicle now and I've got an attachment to it. She really was good to me for 203k miles. Hard to be mad at her.

Thoughts ? Thanks, gents.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I have to think that where you live and whether or not it's stored in a garage also matters...mine has lived a pretty cushy life up here in the temperate (but rainy) PAC NW in a garage for all 12 years. Only when I'm out wheelin' does it get worked hard.