LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Audio - Success!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Bluetooth Audio - Success!

I finally found a good solution for streaming audio via bluetooth in the car!! I know others have posted solutions in the past, but it seems that every bluetooth receiver I have come across has some problem. The one I finally chose is the HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Car Audio.

Amazon Linky Amazon Linky

Some of the (what I consider to be) pluses of this receiver:
1. DOES NOT have hands-free capability - I don't want this because I have the LR4 bluetooth module in my car and prefer to make and receive phone calls through the built in system.
2. Does not have a battery - I want my bluetooth module to shut down when I shut the car down and start up when I start the car up
3. Is a "car" audio receiver - i.e. takes a 5v source instead of a 120v source
4. It is small enough to fit perfectly in the little cubby box under the rear seat aux panel
5. It automatically repairs with my iPhone every time I start the car up.

This thing works perfectly in conjunction with the LR3 bluetooth capability. My iphone stays paired to both the audio receiver and the LR3 phone simultaneously. If I'm playing music and a call comes in, it switches over and puts the call through on the LR system seamlessly. As soon as I hang up, the music starts playing again from where it left off.

I think you can also pair multiple phones to this receiver, but I haven't tried it yet. So far, I highly recommend it if you already have BT phone capability in your truck but want to be able to stream music. Oh, and it's $30 right now... not cheap, but not terribly expensive.

Oh, and one other thing to note... the audio seems to be more on par with the other inputs. You still notice a volume drop when switching from FM to the Aux input, but it's not a dramatic as before. Go figure. :P

The following 3 users liked this post by cmb6s:
$$Ttriton$$ (04-20-2021), DavC (02-05-2015), JOAT (11-19-2019)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I was just thinking this a week or so ago so this post is fortuitous. Ordered one for myself based on your success, can't wait to see how it works out.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Excellent! Let me know if it works as well for you. I had one instance where it did not pair back with my phone when I got into the car, so I had to go into settings again and choose the receiver. After that, it has paired automatically every time though. Don't know if I just didn't wait long enough, or it was a fluke...

Old 02-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just installed it. So far I have no issues linking with the unit and playing music. What is really nice for me is that there is no issues with the AUX audio being quieter than normal radio so I don't even have to go from say 17 to 27. Both are the same volume level.

One thing, I tried to use the phone to make a call and it didn't immediately go through the car's normal bluetooth, I had to select bluetooth from the phone and then reselect my truck's bluetooth before the call would come over the stereo system. Does yours work like this? How do you manage the switch between calls and music?

Secondly, I know the small cubby you're talking about stashing it in, but I still have both the 12v plug and the aux cable just dangling about, where have you hid yours?

Overall the sound quality and ease of use are phenomenal compared to other setups I have used. Truly plug and play with this one.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's odd... are you using an iPhone, Android device, or Windows device? I have an iPhone and it pairs to both the LR3 BT and the Homespot Bluetooth simultaneously since one is simply using A2DP and one is whatever protocol hands-free uses. My handsfree calling works exactly like it always has... if a call comes in, I hit my green steering wheel button and it takes it on my car. To make an outgoing call, I can dial from the car or my phone and it immediately dials from the LR speakers. My Bluetooth screen looks like this:

As far as tucking the wires out of the way... I just ordered short cables with 90 degree elbows and tucked any remainder of the cables above the Bluetooth receiver inside the cubby hole. The biggest drawback is the USB charging cable which still sticks out quite a bit.

The following users liked this post:
DavC (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah, my fault. I hadn't told my phone which device managed my calls and which one was for media. I had previously thought it would only pair with one device at a time. I am using a Samsung S5 running Android these days.

Now it works just as you described. Easy to use. Just hop in and throw on some tunes. Woo Hoo!

All I want to do is find a clever way to hide the cables somewhere, maybe even rout in another 12v socket hidden somewhere so it doesn't stick out of the center console.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Audio - Success!-screenshot_2015-02-06-21-52-22.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Awesome! I was going to feel really guilty if it didn't work as I described.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic find, buying one tonight!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Be warned however, I just had my unit fail today. Probably a manufacturing defect but it starts to fail to connect, cutting out for a few minutes at a time before stopping all connection. Unit got VERY hot, so I unplugged it. Will contact amazon/manufacturer for a replacement if possible.

Otherwise it has been a nice experience.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know, please chime in with the replacement and let us know if it seems ok.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Audio - Success!