LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Mic is Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Mic is Terrible

Anyone having an issue with theirs as well? I can hear callers great but I am hard to hear for them. 2008 LR3 I bought with 20k miles on it. The mic has sucked from day one. I pulled it out and gave some compressed air but it really didn't look dirty. Thanks for any help in finding an OEM or aftermarket replacement.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No one can hear me. I wonder if I even have a mic. Where did you pull it from ? Above the headliner?

Manual says its a "standard directional type" speaker. Implies to me you could use a non oem mic. If you google "land rover " followed by the serial number below first hit will be an ebay link to an oem mic. $47 bucks. Let me know if it works! I use my phone mic but maybe I'll make the fix.

Serial Number:
XVC000050

Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default probably nothing wrong with vehicle mike

I do not know what cell phone you use but most cell phones have some encryption settings in the set up pages, under security or passwords.

I have encryption OFF and my BlackBerry phone sounds OK to the person at the other end of the call. I seem to recall that I once had Encryption set to ON and people complained about how I sounded.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM
5th Gear

It's in the little slotted hole/vent in the dome light housing. You can pop the housing down and unclip all the connections and get the whole housing out. Then you unclip the black plastic piece that sits above the mic. It's round and looks to be multi-directional. People can hear me but mostly don't know what I am saying. I'll let you know if I experiment on my own with a new mic which I'll do if I don't hear something solid from someone in the know.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
5th Gear

Nothing I can find regarding encryption on my iPhone 5. I'm pretty sure its the mic but please let me know if you are aware of any issues withe iPhones. Thx

Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW... I have a 06 LR3 and I have my iPhone4 linked and people seems to hear me just fine.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've got an 06 and an iphone 5 and haven't heard any complaints yet. But I don't talk on the phone all that much.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife sounds pretty bad in our 2008 LR3. The very first time she used it I could not hear ANYTHING she said - it was horrible. Since then, somehow it seems to have gotten better, to the point of being "acceptable". It may have to do with the fact that it is colder out and the windows are up now when she is driving.

Either way, there are countless complaints about this on the internet and one person even had the entire system replaced by LR and it made no difference. It may be phone related as well, meaning some phones will be worse than others. All I know is that it is not great and the LR4 is no better from what I have read.

Perhaps MOVING the mic is the best option, I have not bothered with that yet, but more than likely that is the only thing that is going to help.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I would guess that it has as much to do with the noise cancellation algorithm (or lack thereof) used by the audio unit as it does the microphone. I doubt that upgrading the mic would make much difference, but if anybody finds a way to improve it, please let us know!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There is software that can be updated on the Bluetooth system in the LR3. I'm not sure it would affect the mic quality, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Mic is Terrible