LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 05 lr3, suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 05 lr3, suspension question

hey guys,
just bought a 05 lr3, and the suspension fault come on.
its is the message in the center, with "normal height only"
there are no other lights on the dash, and the suspension didnt drop over night....it remains the same height.
anyone know whats the problem?
i have driven 300km with the message on.
any help would be great.
thanks

Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

there are a number of threads on the suspension issue. Can you hear the pump come on. Oft times, the dessicant breaks down and starts to clog the system. The computer senses a slow fill and shuts down the system in an effort to protect the pump from overheating. You can get the code for the suspension fault and see if that is the case. If so you can do the following: 1. do nothing until it get worse 2. change out the pump with one from a wreck (that is what I did, it has worked great for the last 10 months) 3. upgrade to the new style pump and get your software updated (around $1200+) 4. change out the dryer on the pump, it should be around $140, although there are a number on ebay right now for $250, perhaps the price has gone up in the last few months. The pump swap is pretty easy. The hardest part for me was getting the air lines off, a squirt of wd-40 and all was good. Do a search, there are some really good write ups on the swap. Good luck. Phil

Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
there are a number of threads on the suspension issue. Can you hear the pump come on. Oft times, the dessicant breaks down and starts to clog the system. The computer senses a slow fill and shuts down the system in an effort to protect the pump from overheating. You can get the code for the suspension fault and see if that is the case. If so you can do the following: 1. do nothing until it get worse 2. change out the pump with one from a wreck (that is what I did, it has worked great for the last 10 months) 3. upgrade to the new style pump and get your software updated (around $1200+) 4. change out the dryer on the pump, it should be around $140, although there are a number on ebay right now for $250, perhaps the price has gone up in the last few months. The pump swap is pretty easy. The hardest part for me was getting the air lines off, a squirt of wd-40 and all was good. Do a search, there are some really good write ups on the swap. Good luck. Phil
thanks for the input.
the pump is the compressor itself right?
will the oboII reader scan the code for me?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Overlanding

and also nothing related to the suspension..
do you know how to program the key???
the darn key doesnt lock or unlock the car...the previous owner says weak battery...but does the battery recharge itself when i drive the car??
thanks!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Overlanding

also i cant seem to hear any noise from the pump when i start the car..

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

you will likely need a Land Rover specific scanner for the pump issue. My Innova scanner will give me the engine codes but doesn't read suspension codes.

Does the key start the vehicle? If so, check the owner's manual on programming for the doors and such. Hopefully that will do it for you. Otherwise, dealership.

You can jump the relay plug for the air compressor/pump with some 12 gauge wire. There are four plug in spots, you will want to jump the two that are opposite to each other and perpendicular to one another. It will let you know if the pump is working. Just don't leave it on, it will burn out the compressor/pump.

Good luck. Phil

Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Overlanding

THANKS!
also i noticed "low coolant level" and the car temp. is not in the middle. (the needle)
its rather at the lower end of the cold temp..
is that something i need to worry?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The low coolant level issue (x3 for me) is the float that gets saturated most times. I think you have to replace the coolant bottle. You could also have a leak. Think thermostat with the plastic crossover. Probably no need to worry, the temp sounds like it is where it goesY

Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Overlanding

ok thanks
i thought car temp needle is suppose to be in the middle all the time
mine is only maybe 25% up ....and stays there...
i have added some coolant...and i will see if i need to add more later or not..
so far i have driven 300km in 1 day....no issues yet except suspension fault.
and rear wiper not working...the blade is not even touching the glass...i see a gap on the ****...not sure how to push it back in..

Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Overlanding

UPDATES:

airbags have no leaks, so im thinking its the compressor or sensors?

added coolants at normal level, the temp guage went back up to slightly passed the mid level...(which i think is normal?)

no other leaks...need to replace tie rod, thats about it.

Quick Reply: Bought a 05 lr3, suspension question