LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issues almost killed my wife.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues almost killed my wife.

My wife almost got into an accident because of the LR3 system not behaving in a predictable manner.

A truck ran a stop sign and as a result my wife had to hit the break hard (Panic Braking). Well she said that she was not slowing down really and had to maneuver to go around the truck. She let off the break pedal and applied the breaks again and they worked just fine.

I ran three test on dry asphalt.

Normal Braking 45-0:
Test 1: ~82 feet
Test 1a: ~86 feet.
Test 1b: ~83 feet.

EBA kicking in....
Panic Braking 45-0:
Test 2a: ~105 feet.
Test 2b: ~115 feet.

Normal Braking 45-0:
Test 3: ~89 feet

WTF..... Any suggestions.

Last edited by Actus; 06-11-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Listen, this is probably your first post, so I'm going to go easy on you. When you start out a post with wildly inflammatory comments and then follow up with vague descriptions of an uncontrolled test and a conclusion that we're all driving death-machines, well...you're gonna meet with some resistance and not a whole lot of credibility.

What is your defintion of "Panic Breaking" <sic> ...is that where you wave your arms in the air and shriek while you apply the brake?

Okay, rant over: How about you describe your test conditions and elaborate further on your observations.

Last edited by houm_wa; 06-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

What is EBA? Are you referring to Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)? If so, you just answered your own question.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default may have been working just fine

I have a suspicion that all was working just fine and the proof is your wife steering around the concern.

Your "truck", "race truck" might be a better description of the worlds first electronic 4x4 includes more than mere antilock brakes.

There is an anti skid system in there as well that in doing its thing, while it retards the vehicle, it also allows for steering control.

In practice, this means that your 3 has one of the lowest single car accident rates of any vehicle in the world - any make - Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac etc.

The crude way of saying the above is that Land Rover owners tend not to drive their 3 off the road to the same degree that other vehicle owners do.

This is attributed not to the superior driving skills of the worlds Land Rover soccer Moms and Dads, but to the handling characteristics of our 3 ton race truck. Some say BMW designed our 3 to give their 7 series something to chase - our 3 is that agile.

In reading the above, I think your wife is a skilled driver and handled the 3 in the manner it was designed - she is to be complimented, and yes, it was no doubt scary and time probably did stop, and that is why the 3 did not seem to be stopping.

I have been there.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
What is EBA? Are you referring to Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)? If so, you just answered your own question.
He was referring to Emergency Brake Assist.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

On thing I'd mention is that it's possible to have brake fading with old brakes that have been hot. The trucks anti-lock system will allow you to maneuver around an obstacle, like a ladder for example in my case while keeping control.

Also, they recommend changing brake fluid periodically because it absorbs water, and can effect braking.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

When ABS kicks in, due to over-breaking traction, stopping distance will increase.

That said, I have not experienced this, however I have read of one other complaint of EBA causing longer then normal braking distances, which could have a few different causes(failing pre-charge pump, air in the system) I would get it checked out by a professional if you are sure that it is not normal ABS activation that is causing the extended braking situation.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Listen, this is probably your first post, so I'm going to go easy on you. When you start out a post with wildly inflammatory comments and then follow up with vague descriptions of an uncontrolled test and a conclusion that we're all driving death-machines, well...you're gonna meet with some resistance and not a whole lot of credibility.

What is your defintion of "Panic Breaking" <sic> ...is that where you wave your arms in the air and shriek while you apply the brake?

Okay, rant over: How about you describe your test conditions and elaborate further on your observations.

I guess tell the truth today is wild and inflammatory but Im not asking for buy in or character affirmation. Shoud I send video from the dash cam... would that help you realize that Yes my wife was in a very bad situation that could of ended in a death based on the speeds and circumstances but thankfully not. By the way all vehicles are death machines. They just haven't been activated yet. The fact they are heavy and made by humans would dictate this not the quality of emotional response and bond one has with a brand.

Second of all, there was not an uncontrolled controlled test. Again will show you video if needed.

As I was taught in Racing School that the definition Panic Breaking is breaking under any condition that is not expected. EBA (look it up)is designed to detect such "panic stops" and apply maximum braking effort within milliseconds. It interprets braking behaviour by assessing the rate that the brake pedal is activated.

This is what ABS is designed to fight against. However, Like all systems there could be thrashing which is controlled by the CU.

Test conditions as stated:

Dry flat asphalt road, Cone as marker. When the front bumper of the L3r crossed line Started Breaking base on the case. Measure from Marker to front bumper distance...

Either way don't worry about the main point the question.... Why would normal breaking produce a shorter stopping distance when the very mechanism that is designed to assist with breaking in an emergency situation

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
Emergency Breaking Assist which is on your LR3 it it does the opposite of ABS.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bbyer
I have a suspicion that all was working just fine and the proof is your wife steering around the concern.

Your "truck", "race truck" might be a better description of the worlds first electronic 4x4 includes more than mere antilock brakes.

There is an anti skid system in there as well that in doing its thing, while it retards the vehicle, it also allows for steering control.

In practice, this means that your 3 has one of the lowest single car accident rates of any vehicle in the world - any make - Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac etc.

The crude way of saying the above is that Land Rover owners tend not to drive their 3 off the road to the same degree that other vehicle owners do.

This is attributed not to the superior driving skills of the worlds Land Rover soccer Moms and Dads, but to the handling characteristics of our 3 ton race truck. Some say BMW designed our 3 to give their 7 series something to chase - our 3 is that agile.

In reading the above, I think your wife is a skilled driver and handled the 3 in the manner it was designed - she is to be complimented, and yes, it was no doubt scary and time probably did stop, and that is why the 3 did not seem to be stopping.

I have been there.

Thanks for the comments. I am a vehicle junky and I love the 3... My concern was not the fact that it happened. WHich I am glad things worked out... But the actual fact that what she was describing was so contrary to anything I have experienced I had to test it out... I was pissed by the results because other than breaking force there were no other changes. This tells me that there is something that is not being measured correctly within the breaking logic.

Quick Reply: Brake issues almost killed my wife.