LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Alright, here's the deal. My front brakes are about done, still haven't tripped the sensors though. I am not going to the dealer for $700. I found a local guy that has all the front components from this kit, new in box, for $100. Are those parts OE quality? Or should I just get the OE brand pads/rotors for $400?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if they were geniune they would say it on the website.
they are probably ferado.

Here at the dealership on our personal vehicles we will buy genuine pads but install cheap rotors. The rotors don't make any issues. Its the pads that make the problems. And yes you want to use the sensor. Chances are they break off.

Oh and just remember one thing about the rear rotors. Adjust the rear ebrake correctly or else you smoke bad in the middle of now where and damage the shoes. and it gets expensive when it kills the actuator and the rest of the parts as well.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Mudding

Rears are new. So you think just pony up the $400 for the OE stuff?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pads yes, Rotors no. just stay away from the crappy slotted rotors. They make all sorts of noise.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Pads yes, Rotors no. just stay away from the crappy slotted rotors. They make all sorts of noise.
Man, I just hate the dust that the OE pads make. I put Akebono ceramics on my old Discovery and had great results- no dust or noise and GREAT pad and rotor life. Did the same on my Rodeo several years ago and got 128K miles out of a set of brakes.

Are there any non-dusting pads that you've seen good results with on the LR3?

Dave

Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I am with Dave, send the money and get a set of Akebonno ceramic pads, little or no dust, great stopping power and they last well.
By the way, I run them on my 80,000 plus mile DBA's and they work great.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

x3 on the Akebono ceramics. No noise, no dust, no complaints. I am glad I spent days researching different pad options, and deciding on these when I did front and rear brakes last year.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Oh and just remember one thing about the rear rotors. Adjust the rear ebrake correctly or else you smoke bad in the middle of now where and damage the shoes. and it gets expensive when it kills the actuator and the rest of the parts as well.
Well, that confirms it. I ordered a new brake kit from Atlantic British 6 months ago and 2 weeks later the ebrake took out everything. After doing a full brake job w/ the mechanic at the end of my street for parts + $200, I ended up spending another $650 at the dealership replacing the ebrake and one of the brand new rear rotors. Overall, I still came out cheaper than the dealership wanted for the job (by $400), but I basically threw away $650.

Both the dealership and the local guy claimed it was coincidence with the emergency brake failing. Clearly it was the local guy that didn't know what he was doing.

How do you go about finding a local mechanic that knows his way around Land Rovers? Dealership prices are preposterous, but I'm not keen on having lack of experience cost me another $650 (or worse).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Mudding

I got the Atlantic British front brake kit, found a guy that works on Rovers to do it for $50. Couldn't be happier. No noise, no dust, and great power.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
5th Gear

Is the front sensor difficult to replace?

Quick Reply: Brakes