LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1A13 clogged lines ? :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default don't think the Mark II AMK is better than the Hitachi Mark Infinity

Originally Posted by houm_wa
@bbyer what is the issue with the AMK? Recall that there are two generations of AMK compressors, and I read that the 2nd one was pretty solid. Not sure. I guess I'm hoping!
You are correct, the Mark II version of the AMK is pretty good and I guess I was referring to the first attempt. It is funny how all this stuff tests good in the lab or on the track, but as soon as it hits a production vehicle, then well if you are lucky and most of them fail while under warranty, the involved manufacturers are forced to figure out a fix. This was certainly the case of the early Hitachi units and some of the Mark 1 AMK's - enough to cost the warranty department money such that something had to be done. When the end user is paying, that is business, and where profits come from.

My view of the later Hitachi's is that they were getting pretty good and it is too bad their factory got drowned in the 2011 Japanese floods that forced the move to the AMK. I think the reason all the Hitachi's have that hand written number in white pen on the crankshaft cover is that they were constantly improving the units but did not wish to admit to it, hence the LR part number remained the same; the only evidence of changes being the hand written numbers. This is why I called the newer units the Hitachi Mark Infinity. Hopefully the Dormans incorporate those improvements which I suspect are primarily metallurgy and hence you cannot see them.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Man that's deep...

Old 07-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Default new theory re air release concern

Post #7 and following per the link below has been a real education to me.

It appears that there is something called the air silencer, LR part # LR018308 that I thought was part of the fuel tank emission system. Apparently it ties to the air compressor but is located via hoses near the fuel tank filler and hence my mix up.

It is part ID number 21 on the parts gif and and 21 and 22 on the Block doc.

Apparently there is some sort of valve within the plastic can that can plug/block or not work.

To my surprise, perhaps the error code that suggests there is a plugging/blockage problem is correct and maybe it is inside the can. If so, I would suggest that just disconnecting the two silencer hoses at the compressor end would temporarily resolve the problem. If so, then I guess replacement of the silencer would be the fix.

Normal ride height only - air compressor issue resolved - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Attached Thumbnails C1A13 clogged lines ? :(-air-silencer-system-parts-lr018308.gif   C1A13 clogged lines ? :(-air-silencer-part-number-lr018308.jpeg  
Attached Files
Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Default single stage compression vs two stage

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Man that's deep...
Theory might be more accurate but I think I am more correct than hot air.

On the subject of single stage plus 200 psig compressors, I do not think they are practical. All heavy air equipment, (Kenworths etc), run nominal 150 psig systems and the compressors last for years in all conditions with effectively no maintenance.

To get higher than 150 pisg, to be practical, you have to go to two stage compression. That is a much more complicated process due to effective dissipation of the heat generated and effectively double the number of parts.

I note that the AMK does not appear to have an overheat shutdown, or if so, it is internal and not part of the computer system as per the Hitachi. This may be better design, but I am not certain. Regardless, single stage compression still has to deal with the heat generated but has less to do it with.

Compression below 150 psig just means less heat for a given volume of compressed air. I always felt LR should have added a second air tank on the other rail and set the compressor shut off at 150 psig. That way one would still not have had the camel lift effect displayed by the older FFRRs but had the advantages of longer life compressors.

The following users liked this post:
morrisdl (03-31-2020)
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Camel Trophy

I once got a code like "Gallery Pressure Venting Too Slowly" or something. No fault just a message. I'd just been sanding/painting underneath and was pretty liberal applying an undercoating (anti-corrosion) spray. I figured I got some somewhere it shouldn't have been. I cycled it a few times and have never seen it again.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:49 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
Post #7 and following per the link below has been a real education to me.

It appears that there is something called the air silencer, LR part # LR018308 that I thought was part of the fuel tank emission system. Apparently it ties to the air compressor but is located via hoses near the fuel tank filler and hence my mix up.

It is part ID number 21 on the parts gif and and 21 and 22 on the Block doc.

Apparently there is some sort of valve within the plastic can that can plug/block or not work.

To my surprise, perhaps the error code that suggests there is a plugging/blockage problem is correct and maybe it is inside the can. If so, I would suggest that just disconnecting the two silencer hoses at the compressor end would temporarily resolve the problem. If so, then I guess replacement of the silencer would be the fix.

Normal ride height only - air compressor issue resolved - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
G'day
I have the same fault code as the OP and I also have a brand new compressor fitted. What I have read in your posts, especially in this one, makes a lot of sense. In my situation, I get the orange fault lamp on the dash display a few seconds after the car has started. If I run the car for a few minutes, then turn it off for a second or two and then restart the engine, the fault does not come back again - until the next time the vehicle is started after a longish break.

To me, the exhaust silencer is probably the issue. I just don't know where it is physically located on the vehicle. If it is easy to get to I will simply pull the tube off of it for a while and see if it makes a difference. Then I can replace the part if it is so.

Do you know where the silencer is located? I know that you said it is near the fuel filler, but do I get to it via the fuel filler, or from inside the car with the panels in the cargo well removed? I haven't had any luck with Google.

Cheers

Russ

Last edited by away; 09-01-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

My truck is quite loud exhausting the air and it was noted during the the pre-inspection that there was some modification to the air silencer. Didn't investigate as it doesn't bother me but I figure the "can" must be fairly inaccessible or it would have just been changed instead of modified.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Russ, you might want to ensure that you have the latest software "patch" for the EAS.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

DTSC1A13, would you mind updating the post with the resolution. Working through similar situation.
I’m leaning towards some type of blockage in the rear valve block or the lines. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

Hi All,

First post on here so please be gentle. I have a 2006 D3 which has a suspension fault. I have replaced the compressor with an Hitachi as a like for like, I was still having C1A20/C1A63 errors and so tried replacing the gallery valve in case that was the problem. Now i just seem to get an intermittent error of the suspension fault light and error message when initially turning on the ignition. the error will go if i turn the ignition of and then back on. the car will raise when starting, and can raise and lower using the interior switch. although I have also had the car go into extended mode when i have tried to lower the suspension.

when i first purchased the car 18 months ago, when locking, I would hear the vent valve release and the car gently drop down to what i presume was a resting height. Just before replacing the compressor, and with the new compressor fitted, the car no longer does this. There does not appear to be an air leaks that I have noticed, the car appears to maintain its height over night.

as a last ditch attempt the height sensors have been calibrated, but I have just got the same C1A13-64 error. its not all the time, some days i can get the error when i first switch on the ignition, other times I can get the error when driving, or some days no error at all!

Anyone have any Ideas? I am now thinking of replacing the compressor under warranty for an AMK one but i don't want to go to the expense of having the car remapped for the AMK f i don't need to.

Cheers
Richard

Quick Reply: C1A13 clogged lines ? :(