LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone identify this roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this roof rack?

Every now and then I'll get bored and browse google images for some ideas on future mods. Today I found this LR3 which was previously for sale at some used car dealership - obviously they didn't mention (or probably have the slightest clue) what rack it is.

I've never seen it before, but maybe I'm just forgetting?

Such a clean ride, someone did a great job.
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE CUSTOM Addison, Texas | AutoSource Dallas

Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Urban Offroad Home Urban Offroad

that could be there exodus full platform roof rack

Last edited by drowssap; 12-23-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
Urban Offroad Home Urban Offroad

that could be there exodus full platform roof rack
Wow good call! Looks like the original owner of that vehicle has pictures of the same one (painted hood / LED bar giveaway) on their site too!

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Wonder if I can talk wife into that lol

Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Took me a minute to find that on the UO site. It's the Exodus Series Pre-Runner Platform Full. That's a mouthful!
http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.php...roof-rack.html

I'm running an Exodus Series Overland Platform Full:
http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.php...roof-rack.html

The same at the back but different at the front. Mine was LOUD without a wind deflector and simply loud with the UO deflector, so I made my own larger deflector that comes all the way down to the roof line.

Name:  20151206_152910_zpsx2dtsoti.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  421.8 KB

There are a bunch of other pics showing the rack on page 2 of this album

07 Land Rover LR3 by Don Happel | Photobucket

In retrospect, I'm not sure which I like better. I've been thinking of adding a lightbar at the front but my setup doesn't allow for that easily.

Last edited by Zelatore; 12-23-2015 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zelatore:
drowssap (12-24-2015), jwalk1995 (09-07-2017)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Light bar locations

In retrospect, I'm not sure which I like better. I've been thinking of adding a lightbar at the front but my setup doesn't allow for that easily.
If I may, I will suggest that the roof mounted lightbar is not the best idea and is more of a trend that people seem to be drawn to.
"Hey look at me, I have one of those too..."

I find that roof top lights wash a bunch of light down onto the hood and cause glare. Ultimately, the set up is achieving the intended task of forward light, but the glare on the hood just isn't comfortable to look at. Also, the 50" bars are way overkill for most trail runners. I have a 30" mounted in the grill and I get more than enough light. The 50" bars are more suited to pre-runners and trophy trucks running high speeds on flat(ish) ground with little shrubs. On forested or rocky, mountainous trails, one will find that reflected light will actually cause eye strain and can be rather unpleasant if it is too bright.

My suggestion is to bumper mount one or two smaller bars and to do your best to make them harder to steal. Everything about it is easier (no holes in the roof, no exposed wires running up the a-pillar, easier to reach while doing the install, and so on). But, of course, it is your truck and it looks great so far.

There's my two cents.

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify this roof rack?-10402066_10154787193790383_232263758840776964_n.jpg   Can anyone identify this roof rack?-10173522_10154787193915383_5950806836631476250_n.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Oh, I don't really need more light. I was just sort of considering it for 'some day'. I put on a pair of the fake ARBs at the front earlier this year that provide plenty of output. It would have been smarter to simply hang a 30" bar under my hi-lift, but I wanted the look of round lights.

Name:  20151206_151252_zpspqdl6kpb.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  404.9 KB

Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderman
If I may, I will suggest that the roof mounted lightbar is not the best idea and is more of a trend that people seem to be drawn to.
"Hey look at me, I have one of those too..."

I find that roof top lights wash a bunch of light down onto the hood and cause glare. Ultimately, the set up is achieving the intended task of forward light, but the glare on the hood just isn't comfortable to look at. Also, the 50" bars are way overkill for most trail runners. I have a 30" mounted in the grill and I get more than enough light. The 50" bars are more suited to pre-runners and trophy trucks running high speeds on flat(ish) ground with little shrubs. On forested or rocky, mountainous trails, one will find that reflected light will actually cause eye strain and can be rather unpleasant if it is too bright.

My suggestion is to bumper mount one or two smaller bars and to do your best to make them harder to steal. Everything about it is easier (no holes in the roof, no exposed wires running up the a-pillar, easier to reach while doing the install, and so on). But, of course, it is your truck and it looks great so far.

There's my two cents.
Obviously , you don't do a much serious water fording, when exploring.The bumper mounter lights are just plain useless in my opinion.If you look into a serious expeditions, you will understand, that roof mounted lights where the ONLY thing, that kept many explorers/off roaders on the right track, when they were fording deep rivers, streams and muddy areas at night.Your bumper mounted lights along with headlights and fogs is plain unless if you are stuck in muck and try to get to a winch or recovery point ,since all of that is submerged Some crossings are long and fairly deep and trust me , you won't see much thru those bumper lights if you are doing that at night ..I strongly suggest to look into Camel Trophy videos , among others,to understand , that roof lights have a place in off roading.Cheers

Last edited by thorgal; 12-27-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling

*thinks to self 'self, I wonder how fast I'll kill my imitation ARBs on my next river crossing...?'

Old 12-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Winching

Haha I'll take all of that with a grain of salt and appreciate all of your opinions.

I've done some installs at the shop here and tend to run a string from light bar as far down as possible to ensure that the roof will cut-off the beam before it's able to reflect on the hood, this has worked out great in the past.

With that being said, I think I'm going to get a sport-style low profile half rack for my LR3 (probably Garvin) so it won't be an issue either way, except maybe for the sunroof haha.

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this roof rack?