LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console switches - water fix?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Center console switches - water fix?!?!

Man, I accidentally left the moonroof at tilt during a rain storm and the center console got soaked (negative incline, ugh) and while the parking brake lights (amber and red) flashed for about three weeks, they eventually shut off and it all resumed normal function.

I went to the parents beach house and a random cold front came through from 3am - 7am (at the beach in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I made the mistake of leaving the entire thing open.

Same parking brake lights, but NOW the "lower" command on the air suspension doesn't work! Seems like a gimmick, but keep in mind, I can't even use offroad etc, without taking advantage of the high-speed override lowering, which I don't particularly want to put all my axles / cv joints through.

So basically if you let stuff get wet on the center console, the switches die. I've pulled live data and it's solid on - however the other commands work.

What's the easiest way to get to the actual switch assemblies for the parking brake and the air suspension height selector? I checked live data on low/hi range switch and that's working normally.

PS I've cycled switches a thousand times in case there's residual moisture or corrosion that needs to be moved around, but no luck.

Stupid design. I feel like even a BASIC switch would be more resilient to moisture than this! It's a damn land rover - if I sneeze on anything in the center console it fails? FML.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Man, I accidentally left the moonroof at tilt during a rain storm and the center console got soaked (negative incline, ugh) and while the parking brake lights (amber and red) flashed for about three weeks, they eventually shut off and it all resumed normal function.

I went to the parents beach house and a random cold front came through from 3am - 7am (at the beach in December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I made the mistake of leaving the entire thing open.

Same parking brake lights, but NOW the "lower" command on the air suspension doesn't work! Seems like a gimmick, but keep in mind, I can't even use offroad etc, without taking advantage of the high-speed override lowering, which I don't particularly want to put all my axles / cv joints through.

So basically if you let stuff get wet on the center console, the switches die. I've pulled live data and it's solid on - however the other commands work.

What's the easiest way to get to the actual switch assemblies for the parking brake and the air suspension height selector? I checked live data on low/hi range switch and that's working normally.

PS I've cycled switches a thousand times in case there's residual moisture or corrosion that needs to be moved around, but no luck.

Stupid design. I feel like even a BASIC switch would be more resilient to moisture than this! It's a damn land rover - if I sneeze on anything in the center console it fails? FML.
Sorry to hear. Yup the area is super susceptible to water. I read several horror stories like yours, usually its the sunroof open or someone spills drinks on the console. It should dry out and be OK for the most part. You will want to remove that entire centre console to get to the switches. I did it twice and it isn't hard, I used this video:
(note: be careful with the main plastic body, if you pull too hard in some spots it starts to crack at corners, not horribly so but still, mine did a bit)

Gives you access to those switches, try cleaning them out, otherwise if you have to you can buy a new console with all the switches and direct swap it in. I had a parking brake fault for months after I bought mine and just fiddling with the switch connection it worked again suddenly. Was fine ever since. I did always want to have a vinyl cover made for the console area, or put a piece of vinyl/plastic under neath the whole console to protect the wiring.

Also, stop using your sunroof...

Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome info, thanks for the quick response! I need to suck it up and start working on this thing again, but the LR3's been really good lately *knocks on wood* almost at 120kmi, but the gf has been totally neglecting her diesel liberty - so that's all I've been doing lately.

If there's one thing I hate on vehicles, it's interior trim pieces. I guess most companies have gotten a little better, but nothing quite beats that "FML moment" when you break a bunch of snaps on a door panel or something!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Awesome info, thanks for the quick response! I need to suck it up and start working on this thing again, but the LR3's been really good lately *knocks on wood* almost at 120kmi, but the gf has been totally neglecting her diesel liberty - so that's all I've been doing lately.

If there's one thing I hate on vehicles, it's interior trim pieces. I guess most companies have gotten a little better, but nothing quite beats that "FML moment" when you break a bunch of snaps on a door panel or something!
Exactly why I am saving for a defender. All my buddy does is undo some bolts and presto, access to everything. Its all either bolts or rivets...

That said the interior trim in the 2006-2012 rovers was fantastic compared to earlier stuff

Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My LR3 console protector

I made one of these to protect my center console electronics from water and that accidental coffee/soda spill.

Attached Thumbnails Center console switches - water fix?!?!-img_5195.jpg   Center console switches - water fix?!?!-img_5194.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Cool... gotta tutorial?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Directions...

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Cool... gotta tutorial?
Basically I measured the width/height of the console and went to Walmart and bought a Sterilite 19698606 Mini Clip Storage Box Clear. I think these were the ones, can't remember it's been a while. Then I cut away some of the plastic to fit. The sterilite box is pretty much a perfect fit. Bought some rubber edging off ebay (5ft 1/32" X 3/16" Rubber Edge Trim Seal Black U Channel Door Window WaterProof | eBay)
and than spray painted the whole thing black. I also added the Landrover Logo to add some bling. The rubber edging makes it a tighter fit. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanx for the tip and the instructions...