LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change tranny, diff and transfer case fluid with my homemade device.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change tranny, diff and transfer case fluid with my homemade device.

I detailed my power steering fluid changed / flushed in another thread with my lil home made device. So I will attempt to change diff, transfer case and tranny fluid with it too.

I will still use a 5/16 OD tube as suction tube or I can use a tube adapter to make it 1/2" suction tube. I know the drain plugs of the front diff and rear diff are at the bottom but I also know that the oil / fluid may not come out completely. So I want to use a suction tube to suck it all out from the drain plug. However, I will face 1 problem here, the drain plug hole size may not be exactly the same as my suction tube. My method to deal with this is to buy a small piece of $2 Sculpey clay. Wrap it around the suction tube and press it against the drain plug hole to create a temporary seal so I can have a better vacuum power. Again, I'm not sure if this will all work out the way the I want it. Everything I do is an experiment. My open questions for you guys to think of this: Should I put the suction into the the fill plug hole and dip it all the down to suck out the diff fluid or suck it out from the drain plug hole ? I already watched the Youtube videos on changing open diff front and rear fluid more than a few times. It looks like the front open diff is the hardest because the fill plug is hard to get to. The rear open diff and transfer case drain and fill plug is easier.

Ok here is how I try to refill the fluid, I will use siphon oil liquid transfer pump from Amazon or eBay to pump the fluid into the fill holes.

I already bought the Royal Purple diff and T case fluid and I may change it soon.

About the transmission fluid change. That is the hardest part. With only 61K miles, I just feel like I don't need to change the pan and filter whole assembly. Its just way too much work. I already got a few quote on this. They said the this is a 4 hours jobs intense labor so lowest $540 just for the labor. I have to buy all the parts and fluids.

So I may not go with that way anymore. I don't drive all that much so I just need to change the tranny fluid. After watching youtube vids, I think the drain plug is still kinda accessible with a long 8mm allen but the fill plug is very hard to get to. Was it the fill plug 8mm or the drain plug I forget?

My plan: I will find the fill plug first, open it, put some seafoam in it and then drive it for about 100 miles before I change it. And then, I will open the drain plug and drain it out. And then use my $2 Sculpey clay along with my suction tube to suck the tranny fluid completely out if everything as planned. Finally use the siphon oil liquid transfer pump to pump the new tranny fluid into the fill hole. That is it!! What do you guys think ?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

I think doing things the right way is always best...

Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I think doing things the right way is always best...
Agreed. I can't imagine that putting Seafoam in a 6HP26 is a good idea.