LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my rear brake pads. Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my rear brake pads. Pics included.

My 2005 LR3 has 38k miles. Fronts were changed a bit ago by the dealership. Decided to do the rears by myself.

It was pretty straight forward as far as changing pads goes. I did not replace the rotors. I purchased the pads and the necessary sensor from the local LR dealership for under $130 bucks.

Because my sensor tripped the other day, it is necessary to also replace the sensor.

First thing we learned was that unless you have a high lift jack, you can't jack up both rear tires at the same time.

So, we jacked up one side at a time.

With a tire removed.

From there, there are two bolts to remove on the caliper, then two more to remove the thingy that holds the pads itself. Mine is a 2005, so there is one sensor on the rear passenger side brake.

Here is the rear passenger side brake. You can see the sensor kinda plugged into the inside pad, a before and after. This is the only part I was unsure of, but after I replaced the pads, caliper, I then fished it though and clipped it in. It is pretty straight forward, just carefully follow how it was originally attached. Reason it has to be changed once it is tripped is because there is a plastic bubble that kind of protects the metal contact, once the pad wears to a certain point, the plastic wears away and the metal contacts the rotor. A new sensor is necessary because of that plastic bubble guy.

The brake kit I purchased from the dealership included these new shiny clips, so I replaced them as well.

Then just replace everything, I didn't even bleed any brake lines, just used a clamp to compress the hydraulic stuff to put that back on. Once it was replaced and bolted on, I pressed the brake peddle twice to be sure there was pressure still.

Once everything was replaced, I checked out the brakes in the parking lot, then drove away. It's just like a normal pad replacement, nothing too special.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad replacement

I just did my front brakes this weekend. Is the rear brake wear sensor a pain to plug in? The front snakes up and under the plastic covering the wheel well...that was the hardest part (other than jacking up the LR3 so far as you noted...)

Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
4wd High

I think the rear sensor is easier.

I've never done the fronts yet, but the rear sensor just wrapped around the suspension cylinder and plugged in. No removing of anything, I was just careful of clipping in and following the old sensor when I replaced it.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the pics. They were very helpful. What pads did you go with?

I think you should go post your "shiny clips" one over in this thread though:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24284