LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Brake Pads message

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Brake Pads message

I have a 2005 LR3 and replaced the brake pads and sensor(s) but the check brake pad light is still on. I tried the "key in the on position for 45 seconds with doors closed" but this did not clear it. I've also cleared all onboard faults with my OBDII reader.

The new sensor is a little different than the old one. Some plastic ridges on the coupler end of new are missing. This means the part it clips into on the LR3 does not lock into place but it fits snuggley and can only fit one way so I don't believe this is the issue. I called Richmond Landrover (where I got the part) and they validated the part is correct for my LR3.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Overlanding

Try disconnecting the sensor cables. This will tell you if the issue is the sensor. Thse are very frgile and can be broken as you try to install them.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The sensor is ruined when you get down to less than 3ml of pad left or less. You also need to replace the sensor(s) that have been ruined, as well as the brakes, etc.

Brakes and More - Page 3 - Land Rover Repair Forums - LRRForums.com

Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Arijfeli, I'm confussed as to what disconnecting the sensor cable would tell me. Are you saying disconnecting the cable will make the error disappear? (I would be happy to run without the sensor as I monitor the brake wear myself).

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
4th Gear

Just tape the sensor wires together and that will fix the message your getting on you dash. I've always been smart enough to know when my brake pads are shot.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
5th Gear
Default Thanks for your responses

Check brake pad message update: I talked to the local dealer's part dept and confirmed they sold me the correct part. The parts dept thought the message would go away after it has been driven for "awhile". It's been a few weeks and the message still comes on, but far less frequently. Perhapes once every 15 minutes verses every 30 seconds to begin with. At this rate the message will stop just in time to replace the pads again .

I'll try putting the old sensor back with the wires taped together and see what happens.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not necessarily buying that answer. I am sure it is something that can be switched off with a faultmate, or the dealers system (for a fee).

Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
4th Gear

The wire need to be stripped on the ends and then twisted together for the messaged to stop coming on your dash. I did it to mine two years ago.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
5th Gear

I stripped and twisted together the wires and on the original sensor and re-installed. The message went away for a few seconds and then came back If my wife can't get used to the chimes and errors messages I may have to book an appointment with the dealer...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 5 min. Reset the computor.

Quick Reply: Check Brake Pads message