LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Brake Pads message

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved! (I hope). And yes I have disconnected the battery (left around 2 hours)... Having resolved myself to going into the dealer I decided to distroy the front sensor and strip / twist the leads together. Once completed the message was gone . The front sensor did not not look damaged but when I pulled it off the brake pad it broke in half. Probably had internal damage I could not see.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Sly
1st Gear
Default Twisting wires did not work for me...

Originally Posted by zahnieblack
The wire need to be stripped on the ends and then twisted together for the messaged to stop coming on your dash. I did it to mine two years ago.
I stripped and twisted the wires, then disconnected the battery for 10 mins.
The “check break pad” message still appears. When I push on the break the orange break light goes off. Once I take my foot off the break the light comes back on and the “check pads” message appears. Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Winching
Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Remember there are two sensors on these things. Have checked the other (front or rear) to make sure it is good?

Jeff

Old 10-09-2019, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

Any word on a fix Sly, my prob is more like yours...

Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

The when the pad/sensor touches the rotor you are completing the circuit, thats why the light goes away. Take foot off pedal, light comes back.This basically means you have a functional sensor that has tripped.

If you think you have addressed the problem at the front sensor, that it has to be the rear.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by abran
The when the pad/sensor touches the rotor you are completing the circuit, thats why the light goes away. Take foot off pedal, light comes back.This basically means you have a functional sensor that has tripped.

If you think you have addressed the problem at the front sensor, that it has to be the rear.

Well I cut both sensors FL and RR and bound the wires to make the circuit. Nil fix, light on dash illuminates when pedal released. I even tried leaving the RR sensor open to see if it would be the case. Nil fix. So far I have replaced the brake switch, all tail brake lamps check the splices in the passenger floor, nil breaks in the loom, but water ingress for sure as foam under carpet was wet, Didnt see much corrosion on any connectors. I guess the drivers floor is tomorrow;s adventure,
Battery usually at 12.1 volts, but as I do testing with the IIDTool, it does come down after awhile to 11.7.11.5 sometimes....running the engine for 10 mins brings it back to 12.1 though.
There is one stand alone red 22AWG wire that runs the length of the passenger side which is curious, makes me think the previous owner ran this line to fix a previous problem. My problem is I dont know what it for and can't see where either end connects without removing the seats and sidewall trims...well again a job for tomorrow,,,

Another interesting thing, when the brake light illuminates after releasing my brake pedal, the light stays on afterwards until i turn the car off and restart with my pedal depressed. Oddly, the gear shifter lock was not locking the other day, I could move from ;park to elsewhere without depressing the button... today I stumbled on a nice little video that showed me to reach in from the right side of the cupholder trim and frrl for a nub or a lever and after playing with that, it locked again and has done so the rest of the day... weird. Still no affect on the brake light and associared messages booo

Last edited by toddko; 10-10-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Have you checked your brake fluid level?

If it checks out what about breaking the old piggy bank open and replacing with new sensors?