LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil conversion install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 08:55 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Coil conversion install questions

Has anyone installed the kit from Rover Parts recently? The printed instructions seem to end after the ground wired is connected with no explanation on programming or what to do next and when I watch their video it's a completely different module with a little button and reprogramming process. Man I'm confused. I've emailed them but figured I'd ask. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Has anyone installed the kit from Rover Parts recently? The printed instructions seem to end after the ground wired is connected with no explanation on programming or what to do next and when I watch their video it's a completely different module with a little button and reprogramming process. Man I'm confused. I've emailed them but figured I'd ask. Thanks for any help.
unless the kit has changed since I did mine a couple years ago, you should get a small orange box for tricking the system after the install. There is also a printed sheet with pictures and instructions on how and where to splice the module into the wiring (it's under the steering wheel). When I got my kit, they supplied puncture splices so you didnt have to fuss with stripping wires.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:43 PM
Winching

Yup, it's different. After two phone calls to them and also a call to Tom a Great Basin Rovers (AB sent me to him for help....kinda funny). The module is completely different. This makes the video they supply pretty much useless. The new module can only be hard wired in. No more ODB port and pressing buttons. You've gotta tap into the ECU, plug it all in and then start her up and everything should work perfectly. Also, they told me over the phone that I need to clear all the codes and disconnect the battery before module install. This info is not in the supplied instructions.
So, FYI, anyone buying this kit, you basically have to own a GAP tool and they don't mention anything about that before purchase or in the instructions. I gotta admit, I'm pretty bummed on the instructions and the help from them. If you are going to change something that crucial to the install and not even make proper updates it's gonna be a real headache for them moving forward. I have not even started the install and I'm already sweating. I'll update after it's done. Trying to be positive as the wiring and module install are sketchy looking.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Yup, it's different. After two phone calls to them and also a call to Tom a Great Basin Rovers (AB sent me to him for help....kinda funny). The module is completely different. This makes the video they supply pretty much useless. The new module can only be hard wired in. No more ODB port and pressing buttons. You've gotta tap into the ECU, plug it all in and then start her up and everything should work perfectly. Also, they told me over the phone that I need to clear all the codes and disconnect the battery before module install. This info is not in the supplied instructions.
So, FYI, anyone buying this kit, you basically have to own a GAP tool and they don't mention anything about that before purchase or in the instructions. I gotta admit, I'm pretty bummed on the instructions and the help from them. If you are going to change something that crucial to the install and not even make proper updates it's gonna be a real headache for them moving forward. I have not even started the install and I'm already sweating. I'll update after it's done. Trying to be positive as the wiring and module install are sketchy looking.
Weird, they must be sourcing from a different supplier.

I didnt have to clear codes or disconnect the negative before splicing in the old style one.

If you don't have a GAP tool, doing a hard reset with the battery cables should clear the codes for you as well. Though I'd confirm with them that it's sufficient.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:16 PM
Winching

Just wanted to close this one up. I did the install. Everything worked. It was a SOB to get the coils in and the wiring was hectic but it all worked in the end. Link to my video.

Last edited by toofaroffroad; 05-25-2022 at 11:51 PM.