LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Box

Hello, I've got a '08 LR3 with the cool box.

The manual makes it sound like the cool box will stay on after the car is turned off, keeping the beverages cool. Another part of the manual says it will automatically turn off if your battery gets low.

My cool box turns off about 10 seconds after the rover is shut off. Does anybody's stay on?

I would be nice if it kept running.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Nobody else has wondered about this? Anyone else with a cool box that stays on after the ignition is turned off, as described in the owner's manual?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

I do not have the cool box, but i always wondered about how well it worked as its a rather pricey option. I can't imagine your battery will last very long trying to power this well the vehicle is off though, so it always seemed like something to keep beverages cool only on long distance trips where the vehicle will be running the whole time.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Drifting

The cool box works well, if you use it the way it was intended. It uses the Peltier effect to cool the box, not a compressor. It has a heat sink that gets cold on one side and hot on the other. The cool side is hooked to the box, the warm side has a small fan that dissipates the heat. If you put cool beverages inside, they will stay cold. If you have a long multi-hour trip, warm beverages will get cold.

Don't expect a warm beverage to get cold in a 30 minute trip, just as you would not expect a warm beer to be cold in a fridge after 30 minutes.

The Peltier effect is much more efficient than a compressor, so I think it should be able to run overnight and not drain too much from the battery.

As for price, I bought the D3 used so someone else payed for the upfront outrageous price of the cool box. You can get a desk size one for about $50 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Fridg...489539&sr=8-10

Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Overlanding

My Cool Box shuts off a few seconds after I turn off the engine. Works well on trips, not so much around town.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sprale
My Cool Box shuts off a few seconds after I turn off the engine. Works well on trips, not so much around town.
Ditto.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am have a bit of an issue on a 2008 HSE. The light on the refrigerator does not come on and does not get cold. My instinct says fuse but since its an LR product it could be anything. Any ideas or suggestions on where to start diagnosis or troubleshooting?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Pretty straight forward cooler... I would say if the fuse doesn't fix it may be the unit itself. I don't remember reading of others having problems but I hope someone else can chime in with better advice than mine.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

If your battery is low, or voltage is low, it will shut off automatically. I'd check and make sure your electrical system is in good shape if the fuse is OK.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The battery was just replaced and this happened shortly after. Where may I find a fuse diagram? Does anyone on here know which panel, fuse number and location the cool box fuse is in?

Quick Reply: Cool Box