LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooland Leak Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooland Leak Lessons Learned

Maybe this will help someone, I've had a coolant leak in my 06 LR3 since I bought it two years ago and replaced the reservoir initially but still smelled coolant - never could find the leak so after successfully installing an aftermarket nav and satellite radio last week I was encouraged and decided to find the leak. Found remnants of coolant above the water pump and decided to replace the pump never thinking that the thermostat housing could be leaking. Ordered the pump and while trying to remove the fan clutch broke the nipple off the top of the radiator. So, new water pump and radiator later, test drive revealed the Tstat housing was the culprit. Expedition Portal has a great write up on removal so I am now down to the old part off and getting ready to start installing the new housing which I ordered from LR of Merriam. While it's all fresh in my mind I thought I would post a couple of pointers:

Coolant usually doesn't flow up so if the coolant is above a component, chances are something above it is leaking.
The nipple on the passenger side top of the radiator is fragile.
LandRover sells just the radiator, you don't need the entire $600 "kit". LR part is LR021777. LR Merriam had the Radiator for like $350 and the housing for just over $100.
I was able to get the housing out without removing the fan clutch a second time, I would have but somehow it won't come loose even with a fan tool and large hammer. (Watch that nipple).
In retrospect I wish I had bought all new replacement hoses since I've had most of them unhooked during this process.

Anyway hope this helps someone save a few hundred dollars and several hours. I do have a question, why is it that every project a man does, the wife asks "how much longer is it going to take?"

Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by remember5
I do have a question, why is it that every project a man does, the wife asks "how much longer is it going to take?"
Thanks for the tip -- and because that's just how they're wired. *poke* *poke* *poke*

Dave aka Ghan

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I for one, have learned the fine art of stretching a 1 beer project into a 3 beer project, particularly when said project is her idea!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Overlanding

I also broke the nipple off the radiator while changing out my water pump. Installing a new radiator was a new adventure compared to a water pump. That plastic nipple on the radiator was very brittle.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM
4wd Low

According to my mechanic- my radiator has a leak now, wants to charge me .. well, i won't say - for a radiator.
I found one online for about 320 from atlantic british- and saves me a kidney. What else do i need to bring to my mech for the replacement? hose kit?
Thanks guys

Old 12-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats on finding culprit. Did you bleed it OK?