LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak from around recent Thermostat housing..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant leak from around recent Thermostat housing..

Hi..I started smelling coolant..again..it's like a curse with this car.. Mechanic did a pressure test..coolant coming out of Thermostat Housing..the one held together with 3 screws.
This Thermostat Housing was just replaced last year..? I don't get it the original lasted 170,000
miles ?
It was put in (the whole thing was something like $450 I vaguely remember) last November.
So this other mechanic says needs a new gasket ( but this thing is newish) and puts a silicone around the opening to see if holds.Still leaking..
Mechanic who put this part in in November said still warranty and is getting another gasket..
I mean..is this going to solve it or is this a bum part that should be replaced? Thanks for the great help you have always given.God bless

Old 10-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

did they get genuine or a cheap knock off?

I have had great luck with the genuine they come with all the new seals etc

Old 10-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Athana
Hi..I started smelling coolant..again..it's like a curse with this car.. Mechanic did a pressure test..coolant coming out of Thermostat Housing..the one held together with 3 screws.
This Thermostat Housing was just replaced last year..? I don't get it the original lasted 170,000
miles ?
It was put in (the whole thing was something like $450 I vaguely remember) last November.
So this other mechanic says needs a new gasket ( but this thing is newish) and puts a silicone around the opening to see if holds.Still leaking..
Mechanic who put this part in in November said still warranty and is getting another gasket..
I mean..is this going to solve it or is this a bum part that should be replaced? Thanks for the great help you have always given.God bless
Did you replace the whole assembly (the thing that looks a bit like a manifold) or just the thermostat housing. For the price you say you paid - which in my view is high - I assume you got the whole thing plus coolant. If that's the case they wouldn't have removed the thermostat itself (it's part of the bundle) in which case I'd say either poor fitting, or faulty part.