LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of very minor issues when all else is working perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Couple of very minor issues when all else is working perfectly

Hey there,

I own a 2008 HSE w/locker and entertainment and I'm loving this truck all over again. After stealing this back from the wife who was using it as a minivan I'm slowly fixing anything that is off.

A couple of questions, first is the rear hatch, specifically the black housing for the release switch (upper door). Can this be replaced? The fading is bad and more so here than the rest of the truck. Second is the front grill. Has anyone used an EBay replacement for a white LR3? Or have you plasti-dipped it instead? Paint has simply flaked off a couple of years ago. We had it repainted but it recently started happening again.

Now, if only they sold the radio buttons separately.

Thanks,

Drew

Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Renu Pro for the plastic. That tailgate piece and door handles were looking really dried out. I used this stuff all over the truck on all the black plastic. Everyone thinks it is a new truck. It has held up well after about 2 months

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005C43YHU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1426399430&sr=8-1&keywords=renu+pro&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Old 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Maguire's and Mothers 2-3 x a year in Colorado's dry climate on all the exterior "black" plastic. So far they seem to be doing a decent job. I'm up for trying Renu Pro. Has anyone tried this product in a dry climate like Colorado? What were the results? Does anyone also know where I can find it in a larger qty? It'll be one very expensive detail based on this product alone.

Last edited by rovernoob; 03-15-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PS - you said the "m" word.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you buy the vehicle new?

I'd say there's an 80% chance that the front had been re-sprayed at a body shop, probably something minor but I work at a restoration shop and after owning a few of these I can tell you that the repainted parts behave VERY differently.

The clear on the front bumper and the upper spoiler on my 06 RRS was flaking so bad that I just sanded it off and buffed the base color really quick - traded it in at night / in rain lol. Both those areas had been fixed at a body shop with some super $hittay clear.

But yeah wow, the factory paint was rock solid, even the roof that saw no wax and direct sunlight - that was a Miami vehicle before I got it too!

My 2006 LR3 has perfect paint minus some small scuffs or scratches, but the materials and clear are perfect - no flaking, discoloring or bubbling etc.

FWIW I've run the color code for mine and it came back as a nearly basic white plus some yellow and green I think, but it was super cheap and I can mix it at my shop's paint system, I think it suggested ~$32/pint whereas my 99 disco Kinversand is something insane like $116 for a pint! You've got an 08 so Alaska white not Chawton but I don't believe it's metallic still. Your best bet is to just pop the grill off and give it to a local shop to shoot it, they'll probably charge you ~$200 ish.

Last edited by EstorilM; 03-15-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Amazon sells the RenuPro in two sizes. I bought the larger size. I applied it thick to any part that's black...and I still have 1/2 - 2/3 of a bottle remaining!

The door handles and the tailgate plastic above the license plate are different types of plastic, so I wasn't sure if it would work. It did and it looks so much better. This summer's FL sun will be the real test. But if I have to apply twice a year, I will be happy.

I actually found out about this product when I was searching and found everyone with Chevy Avalanches using it with great results...and those older ones have a ton of plastic.

I've used Back to Black before and it doesn't last or even make the plastic very dark...just gray-er. RenuPro is actually black so it helps dye it. It takes a while for the residue to dry because it was sticky...but it was dry after a few days and a rain shower - and looks like new plastic now...not greasy or wet. I thought I would have to tape off the paint but it wipes right off the paint.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Drifting

These picture were the day after application

Name:  ZsGjpqz.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  969.8 KB
Name:  dsTk2N0.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1,013.7 KB
Name:  zDuQGs3.jpg
Size:  973.8 KB

Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Drifting

This pic is from yesterday doing yard work...about 2 months after application

Name:  cRBvZkp.jpg
Size:  634.8 KB

Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DestinZ
Renu Pro for the plastic. That tailgate piece and door handles were looking really dried out. I used this stuff all over the truck on all the black plastic. Everyone thinks it is a new truck. It has held up well after about 2 months

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005C4...=AC_SY200_QL40

Thanks for the link! I really like that it's flat and not shiny. Really looks good.
I prefer to replace the piece over the license plate as the plastic is also very rough. Any rag snags on it. All other bits I'll use this product.

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Did you buy the vehicle new?

Yep, bought it new. If it was resprayed we of course weren't aware.

Originally Posted by EstorilM
I'd say there's an 80% chance that the front had been re-sprayed at a body shop, probably something minor but I work at a restoration shop and after owning a few of these I can tell you that the repainted parts behave VERY differently.

The clear on the front bumper and the upper spoiler on my 06 RRS was flaking so bad that I just sanded it off and buffed the base color really quick - traded it in at night / in rain lol. Both those areas had been fixed at a body shop with some super $hittay clear.

But yeah wow, the factory paint was rock solid, even the roof that saw no wax and direct sunlight - that was a Miami vehicle before I got it too!

My 2006 LR3 has perfect paint minus some small scuffs or scratches, but the materials and clear are perfect - no flaking, discoloring or bubbling etc.

FWIW I've run the color code for mine and it came back as a nearly basic white plus some yellow and green I think, but it was super cheap and I can mix it at my shop's paint system, I think it suggested ~$32/pint whereas my 99 disco Kinversand is something insane like $116 for a pint! You've got an 08 so Alaska white not Chawton but I don't believe it's metallic still. Your best bet is to just pop the grill off and give it to a local shop to shoot it, they'll probably charge you ~$200 ish.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Your truck looks great. I see something else to address. My headlights needs to be polished. I should receive Xpel headlight covers today. Once satisfied that they look good again I'll immediately cover them.

Your roof is painted or is that an overlay? That's an excellent idea to no longer worry about what you can't see and to guarantee it stays that way.

Originally Posted by DestinZ
This pic is from yesterday doing yard work...about 2 months after application

The following users liked this post:
DestinZ (03-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Couple of very minor issues when all else is working perfectly