LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross articulation error frustration

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I have RSW software and it works fine for me. Don't think it's likely as capable as GAP based on what some of you post, but for the price paid and supporting a Land Rover fan that happens to live in my state, I was ok with it.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cospilot.
Mine worked great the first year I had it but this year it loses connection to the wifi dongle about every third or Fourth diagnostic check and I have to close out and restart software. RSW even sent a replacement dongle and it was better but has started gradually declining. I bought an OHP USB adapter like what he suggested on his website but cannot get it to talk to the software. I need to play with different baud rates but I am in a blind here so I just restart as needed for now.

My biggest issue is it is so hard to get hold of him via email. I realize of course this was a "project" for him and he has a full time job and is obviously a skill software developer or engineer so I can't fault him too hard. Just frustrating sometimes, especially when things are broken on the car and I have limited communication with the car.

Have you had any problems with losing comms and having to restart the 4DCAN software periodically?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

I myself have to restart the software often. But this thread may not be the best place to discuss RSW issues.

The following users liked this post:
SandBaggin' (08-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Overlanding

Agreed DakotaTraveler.

For an update, I put the old right rear sensor back on and reload calibration values I had back last January that did fine till this December. Now the only new component besides compressor is the left front sensor. Putting old RR on brought wheels back in line pretty much and I noticed the old sensor had a rod maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than new one. New one came from Lucky8 but has no part number on part but according to work order is correct part. My driveway is a major hill so tomorrow i will take it down to a flat surface and attempt calibration with RSW software and see what happens. My sensor value on RR is now closer to the other 2, left front is a bit higher. I'll post what happens tomorrow afternoon after I calibrate.

As always, thanks for the replies and comments

Robert

Old 01-13-2019, 12:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Get a GAP...

It's all in the calibration....

Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Overlanding

Hey,
Just wanted to follow up some more on this. Have tried yet another right rear height sensor with same results. Recalibrated using mm tape measure and still get "cross articulation error" generally above 50mph. I decided I am beyond my capabilities with my current code reader/calibration system so I took the plunge and order a Gap iid tool tonight from Lucky8. I had fired a couple of emails with sales questions to the Gap Diagnostics team and Patrick was always quick with an answer so I pulled the trigger on it. Once I get it next week and activate it I hope to report back with good news or else more codes/info.

I'll be back on next week. Thanks for all suggestions to date.

Robert

Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Good move. GAP has solid instructions on how to accomplish a recalibration. There is even an Excel spreadsheet they can provide in which you put in the measured values and the live values on one side and it spits out the values needed on the other. It's iterative but doesn't take long. Keep in mind that if your calibration is way off or your vehicle is really tricky to calibrate there could be something more sinister lurking like a bent sensor bracket. That happened to me....dealer couldn't calibrate, IIDTool could....but after about a year or 18 months and possibly a tiring compressor, the calibration started ****ting itself. We eventually determined the bracket was bent, straightened it out, re-cal'd and it's been right as rain ever since.

Good luck; please do report back and tell us how you fare.

morrisdl (06-09-2020)
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Overlanding

I am mega excited about getting in next week. I hope it can calibrate as well as tell me if I have a bad driver blend door motor if there is no code for that I fear I will be replacing a heater core this summer.

I must have read every thread on the internet about LR3 air suspensions and saw yours regarding your bent bracket. I have checked mine over extremely well and see nothing unusual but that's not to say it couldn't still be an issue. I have been majorly impressed with Gap's response to tech questions even with me being upfront that I hadn't purchased yet. Plus I need to purchase a spare key and program so that $300 savings plus the added code reading capabilities and obviously the phenomenal track record on calibrating suspensions convinced me to part with $512 last night.

I will definitely update with a report once i have more info from my iid tool.

Robert

Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

My GAP tool has saved me so much time and money, I can’t fathom owning a newer Rover without it.

morrisdl (06-08-2020)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Overlanding

Well, the iid tool arrived Monday. I got it activated that night and ran a code scan Tuesday and found various odd insignificant ones. I attempted a guided calibration and all was well till I was on the last wheel, the left rear. It was showing a value of 248 and would not rise at all. I emailed Patrick but it was after 5 so I didn't hear back till today. He had me try a Manual calibration on the left rear, then a guided again. Long story short, that did the trick. I have driven 20 miles at speeds at 75mph and not a single drop to the stops or even error codes on the suspension. I am so happy it is finally fixed. 2 months of this and finally, problem solved. I should have done this long ago.

For those like me dreading the $512 outlay, don't dread. Find the money and start using the iid tool. It does so many things!! I dare say a trip to the dealer for this issue would have seen a new compressor, valve blocks and 2 bags with no fix likely unless they happened to get it calibrated properly while throwing parts at it.

My next stop is to get 2 replacement keys and program them. This is worth its weight in gold. Pricey but well worth it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, only sorry I didn't acquire this tool earlier. My other program left me uncalibrated in a bad way. This cleared it all up. I knew I was on the proper path today after my manual calibration then guided when my 4x4 screen showed all wheels where they belonged.

I can't say enough good things about Gap and Patrick at their tech support. Glad I cam finally close this thread. Hopefully I won't be back next week after bragging.

Robert

Quick Reply: Cross articulation error frustration