LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Custom" tail light build

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crosbo
Nice look GRover. Have you noticed a difference/decrease in the ambient light that the headlights provided prior to your project?

I too like the black vertical lines that are created at each from corner...extending the black upwards from the bumper. Now you may want to consider one of the blacked out grill options/upgrades that are readily available via ebay.
Originally Posted by TOM R
love this, not the tint but just painting some of that chrome makes a huge diffference

let us know how it holds up and how you make out with the led bulbs since i have yet to find some bright enough, also as we all know messing with the brakelight circuit causes all kinds of stupid issues

No difference with the headlights at all, they look just as bright as before, same for all the other lights. They're all just as bright as before which is great. I'll keep everyone updated on how this paint survives.

and I'm expecting issues with the LED bulbs. Hoping I can just put load eqaulizers in and everything is all good, we'll see when they get in. I'll post pictures after I get them.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah a tire machine will definitely scrape em up, cant tell ya how many times I've "scuffed up wheels" lol,,

Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmeier
Yeah a tire machine will definitely scrape em up, cant tell ya how many times I've "scuffed up wheels" lol,,
Yup that's what I was thinking. Just sold my old Bronco so maybe some new rubbers will be in store here soon for the Rover.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRover96
I was looking at doing the same thing with some LEDs on the headlights, looks cool. and how did you do your wheels? Plastic dip or paint?
Yep, I used Plastic Dip from wally world. Wanted to give it a try first, to see if I liked them. Also relocating from SATX to the DC area, so was interested to see what the weather would do them.

Today I picked up some new tires and as mentioned, the removing and installation of the new tires took a toll. Unfortunately, I ran out of plastic dip and the store was out as well...and I am racing to beat darkness and the storm arriving this evening. So, I wound up using the black Rustoleum Leak Seal spray around the edges and on the lug bolts. Not nearly as pretty, but a quick fix.

Bottom line, I'd love to have the wheels painted to be the flat or satin black, but boy would it **** me off if a change of tires meant the wheels would be all scratched or chipped up.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the LED lights around the headlights, I used a power sensing switch to power the lights. The first switch I used only powered the lights on/off. The switch i have in place now, also connects to the turn signals and flashes the LEDs in unison with the turn signals. I'm thinking in the spring I'll try some flashback LEDs that will turn flash and change to orange when flashing in unison with the turn signals.

As far as LED's, I replaced all my upper interior lights with LEDs...except for the map lights, I found the use of the map lights to be too bright when I'm driving at night. I also replaced the puddle lights with LEDs. On the exterior, I replaced the tag lights and the front cornering lamps with LEDs. I like the brighter light the LEDs provide, better look and the decrease in wattage required to run the lights.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

BTW, the LED lights around the headlights, I used a power sensing switch to power the lights. The first switch I used only powered the lights on/off. The switch i have in place now, also connects to the turn signals and flashes the LEDs in unison with the turn signals. I'm thinking in the spring I'll try some flashback LEDs that will turn flash and change to orange when flashing in unison with the turn signals.

As far as LED's, I replaced all my upper interior lights with LEDs...except for the map lights, I found the use of the map lights to be too bright when I'm driving at night. I also replaced the puddle lights with LEDs. On the exterior, I replaced the tag lights and the front cornering lamps with LEDs. I like the brighter light the LEDs provide, better look and the decrease in wattage required to run the lights.
Sounds great keep us posted

Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

The plain black plastic dip worked great on ours took 3 cans to do 4 wheels

Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

My wheels and hood blackout plasti dipped Oh ya also my front grill and side vent.

Attached Thumbnails "Custom" tail light build-img_7136.jpg   "Custom" tail light build-img_6414.jpg   "Custom" tail light build-frt.jpg   "Custom" tail light build-img_7132.jpg  

Last edited by mx468; 01-25-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM
Drifting

Yup yup the interior lights were a nice upgrade I just recently did them also along with the tag lights and front corner lights.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mx468
My wheels and hood blackout plasti dipped Oh ya also my front grill and side vent.
Awesome I was just thinking yesterday about blacking out my hood. Cool now I think I'll try it out. Just plasti dipped the wheels on my girlfriends Dart and it came out awesome. I'm gonna do mine after I buy some new tires.

Quick Reply: "Custom" tail light build