Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR3 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/)
-   -   Dang this rain, leaking LR3 front passenger side floor (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/dang-rain-leaking-lr3-front-passenger-side-floor-82968/)

ljdiscovery 02-14-2017 10:50 AM

Dang this rain, leaking LR3 front passenger side floor

So much for dry So Cal. It has been raining like crazy out here, well, crazy for us. I noticed a smell in our LR3, after some looking around, I found that the carpet under the rubber mat on the front passenger side of the vehicle was wet and that there was some white mold growing on the carpet-side of the rubber mat. Gross. I sucked up as much of the water as I could with my shop-vac. I then thoroughly cleaned the carpet and let it dry out. Smell is gone and the carpet looks great. I am concerned about the next rain storm and more water getting in. I did have an issue a year or two ago on the driver's side sunroof drain tube where it make a 90' turn out of the interior of the LR3. I changed that 90' elbow and all has been good on the driver's side. Does the passenger side have the same 90' elbow where it exits the cab? The carpet was wet on the floor and on the angled foot pad area where it backs up to the firewall. I will check the pollen filter to see if it is wet. As I understand it, a warped windshield cowl can lead to a leak that comes in through the fresh air intake. Any other known sources of water intrusion that would show up on the passenger side carpets? thanks, this is a great site! Phil

2005 LR3 HSE Tonga Green
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE

clarkritchie 02-14-2017 11:28 AM

Yikes.

Maybe these threads will help you out -- lots of photos!

- How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
- Sunroof drain tubes FIXED

I'm curious, is it this area?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/FloorMat.jpg

We've had tons of snow this winter and I've found that, despite kicking the snow off my boots before getting in, the OEM floor mats fail at keeping this little patch of carpet anywhere close to dry. Any snow I track inside coalesces here, big time. I've taken to using a space heater at night to dry it out...

EastCoast 02-14-2017 12:03 PM

Also, check your cowl to see if it has warped and lifted off the windshield. Mine did shortly after buying it and soaked the passenger side footwell. A strip of black Gorilla tape took care of it for now til I get the new cowl.

ljdiscovery 02-14-2017 04:09 PM

I will take a look when I get home. Thank you for the references. Have I mentioned that this is a great site! All the best. Phil

2005 LR3 HSE Tonga Green
2006 Range Rover Sport Giverny Green

abran 02-14-2017 06:30 PM

You will have to remove the CJB/Interior fuse box if the elbow is deteriorated. Pull off your intake vent, you can see it there.

Have fun! The first one I did took me hours to get the fuse box back in, 2 cam lock connectors on the back that do not cooperate

Alphamale 02-15-2017 07:45 AM

There are several possible reason for water leaking into the front, the cowl along the bottom of the screen, as already mentioned, sunroof drain tubes being blocked (if you have a sunroof), water finding it's way past the clips holding the external 'A' pillar trims on (common problem for which a 'technical service bulletin' was issued by LR) or failure of the seal around the screen.

When my carpets got wet I found the problem (in my case) was due to water getting past the cowl and down the air intake duct to the heater motor.

Check out my post on another site showing what I found and how I dealt with it, a cheaper solution than a new cowl. I'd be inclined to provide the drip cover to prevent future leaks there even with a new cowl fitted. DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - This look familiar to anyone?

ljdiscovery 02-16-2017 11:05 AM

Thank you for the responses and links. I checked the fresh air intake at the pollen filter, dry as a bone. I did notice some lifting on the windshield cowl, I will tape that for now and get another one on order. I am also going to tape around the sunroof, I don't want the truck shutting down due to water intrusion. Some things about these vehicles really causes me to scratch my head. How can an all world vehicle, purportedly ready to take on the jungles of Brazil and the sands of the Sahara be so fidgety on stupid stuff! That said, I really do like it.........Has anyone changed the seal around the sunroof? Has that been an issue for anyone? The seals on the LR3 and the Range Rover Sport are both in okay condition, but not really tight. Not sure if that would make a difference. I will check the sunroof drains after the rain storm of "biblical proportions" that is heading our way, nothing like the rest of you get, but it is big news for the local news stations in So Cal! Stay Dry. Phil

abran 02-16-2017 11:33 AM

if your pollen filter is dry and your headliner/interior a pillar finisher is dry its your sunroof drain nipple behind the CJB.

The easy check is pop off the fender vent, remove rubber bladder and foam insert. You will have a perfect view of the nipple. I have been doing sunroof drain repairs like nobody's business the last month.

80% of the time its the nipple. The new design is wide open, where as the old one is pinched into a cross. Debris builds up in the cross shaped out flow section and rots the rubber of the nipple away. It becomes dis lodged from the hole in the fender and drains directly into your interior.

abran 02-16-2017 11:38 AM

The funny part is that I have been telling everyone to check their floor carpet and then I finally check my wife's, its soaked. Had to changed both nipples and clear the tubes.

houm_wa 02-16-2017 02:49 PM

....is "circumcising" the old nipple equivalent to installing the new design?