LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delphi tool vs IIDtool

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Delphi tool vs IIDtool

I have the delphi tool mentioned in this post.. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...through-64554/

It was purchased for around $100 with express shipping and works with most cars via a windows enabled laptop.

I was going through the settings for the LR3(looking to buy one) and found it had most of the settings the IIDTOOL has.. So what makes the IIDTOOL $300+ Better?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, I think the one is a Chinese bootleg.... that's why it's so cheap. And that's why there are those activation hacks.

I like nanocom.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Deflating the springs and enabling the EAS is one thing...but can you adjust/save height settings and calibrate sensors?

The GAP Tool can...

Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Deflating the springs and enabling the EAS is one thing...but can you adjust/save height settings and calibrate sensors?

The GAP Tool can...
What does calibrating the sensors do? A lift is nice but if you don't really want one...

Delphi works great for diagnosing most issues.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MrWesson
What does calibrating the sensors do? A lift is nice but if you don't really want one... Delphi works great for diagnosing most issues.
If you ever have to replace a height sensor you'll have to calibrate it.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Camel Trophy

...just answering your question.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

The GAP Tool can also reflash certain ECUs, so that you can update software (for example if you are replacing/updating the compressor). Aside from that, there is also the customer support aspect.

Edit: Oh... and it can edit the CCF. Don't know if the Delphi Tool can do that.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cmb6s
The GAP Tool can also reflash certain ECUs, so that you can update software (for example if you are replacing/updating the compressor). Aside from that, there is also the customer support aspect.

Edit: Oh... and it can edit the CCF. Don't know if the Delphi Tool can do that.
That's helpful and I didn't see a CCF option in the Delphi so I doubt it.

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...just answering your question.
Sorry if I came across defensive.. Dont feel that way at all. Just trying to gather the differences between the two of them.

At first glance I figured the differences as slight.. I've changed my mind.

Originally Posted by jafir
If you ever have to replace a height sensor you'll have to calibrate it.
That's a huge plus as that seems like a common failure point. If you don't calibrate the sensor does it just not react once installed?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MrWesson
That's a huge plus as that seems like a common failure point. If you don't calibrate the sensor does it just not react once installed?
Depends on how close the new sensor reads to the old sensor. If it's close, it will probably work fine and just be a little off on height. If it's not close the computer probably will freak out and not work on that side. I know that's how a D2 works... not sure about the 3.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy

No worries, Mr. Wesson....

As for sensor calibration. There is a "window" of ranges within which each sensor has to read. There is also a relationship between sensors. I think that having a sensor read out of that range has more to do with it being "pushed out" because of its relationship to one of the others...if that makes any sense. Like if you installed any single sensor independent of the others it would always read in the right range, but when calibrated also with respect to the others, one may be pushed out. That's not a scientific explanation, but that's how it works in practice.

The IIDTool can be used to fix this scenario. There is a detailed process to do so, and if you get stuck the designers and support folks are nothing short of EXCEPTIONAL.

I sing their praises because last year I was in that situation....new shock, new sensor and the dealership, even with their fancy IDS tool could NOT calibrate it. I was a bit nervous...it looked like hell. The LR3 was lopsided, the steering was off....just not in good shape at all. I spend one afternoon with my IIDTool and Christian (Simard) from GAP via e-mail...and I had it NAILED. I mean each corner within 1 mm of each other.

Saved my butt! Not to mention that the failure in the above scenario happend on a trail, and I was able to use the IIDTool to get the LR3 off the bump stops (and my 32" MT/Rs) and back into normal height so that I could pull the EAS fuses.

It's absolutely invaluable. Best two LR3-related purchases ever: RS Sliders and GAP's IIDTool.

Quick Reply: Delphi tool vs IIDtool