LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipstick Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023 | 04:26 PM
|
Mudding
Default Dipstick Removal

I’ve been looking at this for an hour now. I found one small nut that seems to be mounted on a valve cover bolt. How do I get this thing out ?

Trying to do valve cover gaskets and the instructions are absolutely rubbish. does this thing just pull out ? Yank like a mule ?

Old 01-05-2023 | 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Hopefully you got this figured out by now. Yes, there’s a stud bolt in the valve cover that holds the dipstick bracket. After removing that nut, it’s just a twist and pull to remove it.

I found one pic of the stud bolt, after dipstick was removed. I had the inner fenders removed which probably made it easier.

Old 01-07-2023 | 08:01 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by P-Bod
Hopefully you got this figured out by now. Yes, there’s a stud bolt in the valve cover that holds the dipstick bracket. After removing that nut, it’s just a twist and pull to remove it.

I found one pic of the stud bolt, after dipstick was removed. I had the inner fenders removed which probably made it easier.

you, sir, are a hero. Thank you. I was going to invest in a small mirror today to solve this but the visual is perfect. thanks.

Old 01-07-2023 | 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Glad that helped!

Be careful after you open the valve covers. The wiring harness fasteners and loom are very brittle. I had a zip-tie fastener pop loose and drop down my front timing cover. I was extremely lucky fishing it out with a grabber tool and a bore scope.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e6/#post820238

Old 01-07-2023 | 01:53 PM
|
Mudding

[QUOTE=P-Bod;851105]Glad that helped!

Be careful after you open the valve covers. The wiring harness fasteners and loom are very brittle. I had a zip-tie fastener pop loose and drop down my front timing cover. I was extremely lucky fishing it out with a grabber tool and a bore scope.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e6/#post820238[/QUO

Thank you. Will i have visibility of where the dipstick enters the motor once i remove the wheel liners ? I have the bolt off but i’m reluctant to twist it out because i have no visibility of where it terminates which means getting it back in will be hard/impossible. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2023 | 02:08 PM
Mudding

To echo P-Bod’s statement: the loom and everything around it is as fragile as can be. Last night do too had a piece of split loom cover fall into the open intake manifold and land atop a closed valve. Grabbed it with some tape and tweezers the vacuum’d the crap out of everything again.

It may be worth whole wrapping the loom tightly in shop towels beforehand to contain anything that may fall. I was thinking about doing this when I redo my intake manifold again.

Old 01-07-2023 | 02:40 PM
Rock Crawling

When I did mine, I had the a/c compressor and power steering pump removed as well. I can’t remember how difficult it was to re-insert, and it doesn’t stand out as a real pain.

I just looked at my 06, and you definitely can’t see it with the inner fender installed. It looks like it fits right behind the a/c compressor and will be difficult without at least removing the inner fender.

If you lift it just high enough to clear the stud bolt, the tube may not need to come fully out, and the longer dipstick could be used as your guide if you make sure it stays in the hole. Basically you can feel your way back in.

Old 01-10-2023 | 08:05 PM
|
Mudding

i didn;t remove it. I cut the bracket with a sawzal from 1951 and was able to get all the valve cover bolts out. The harness on the lower side closes to dipstick gave me the biggest issue as the harness was mounted to it and I couldn't get a clean look at it. I got it eventually. The valve cover is officially off. The thing looks so damn clean. Not sure why I was expecting sludge or something. Interestingly enough, when I went to remove one of the spark plug seals, the plastic cracked. So, I ordered a new valve cover on the old ebay.

So - it dawned on me when I go in there - that might leak (diagnosed with smoke) actually might not be coming from the valve cover but rather the intake gasket. So that said, I am now on the hunt to see how hard it is to replace those gaskets.

Might anyone know? I am a little jittery about removing the fuel rail and the injectors - but it looks like it's a must do in order to do this job.

Old 01-27-2023 | 10:28 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by mirepoixmatt
I’ve been looking at this for an hour now. I found one small nut that seems to be mounted on a valve cover bolt. How do I get this thing out ?

Trying to do valve cover gaskets and the instructions are absolutely rubbish. does this thing just pull out ? Yank like a mule ?

i cut the mount and didn’t remove the oil dipstick tube. worked fine