LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Headlight Washer ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Disable Headlight Washer ?

I don't ever need the headlight washers. They come on automatically with the windshield washers when the headlights are turned on.

Is there an easy way to disable the headlamp washer system?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here are pages from the tech manual. There are separate washer pumps, I would try just unplugging them electrically.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlamp Washer Pump.pdf (32.3 KB, 1218 views)
Description and Operation.pdf (638.4 KB, 1340 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Mudding

I saw that but i didn't feel like pulling the fender well. I don't know if there is a fuse but i know there is a rely for the headlamp washer pump. Maybe i can pull the relay?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here are the schematics. I suspect that fuse 12E in the battery junction box would be the one to try.

Attached Files
LR3 wiper washer.pdf (1.04 MB, 588 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Mudding

Thx! I'll give that one a try!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why go through the effort? Do the headlight washers really bother you that much? I don't really even notice mine are there. They only activate every other time you wash the windshield while the headlights are on.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mossmanxjt
Why go through the effort? Do the headlight washers really bother you that much? I don't really even notice mine are there. They only activate every other time you wash the windshield while the headlights are on.
Yes they do bother me quite a bit. I live in Socal and do not go mudding or really ever have had the need to clean my headlights while driving. I do however sometimes need to clean the windshield while driving at night. Either from bugs or whatever.

I usually keep the Rover clean and as soon as those Headlamp Washers go off, there is always wind blown spray that comes up on the hood or creeps around the sides. It's a Black car also !

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xrover
Yes they do bother me quite a bit. I live in Socal and do not go mudding or really ever have had the need to clean my headlights while driving. I do however sometimes need to clean the windshield while driving at night. Either from bugs or whatever.

I usually keep the Rover clean and as soon as those Headlamp Washers go off, there is always wind blown spray that comes up on the hood or creeps around the sides. It's a Black car also !

To live in Southern California....My Java Black Rover is currently road grime grey. It is so thick you can't even tell it is a black vehicle. Only 6 months till spring!

ps. I love my headlight washers. No more rubbing handfuls of snow on them so you can see the road...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Mudding

Hmm, Maybe i'll just install a separate switch to activate them when I want.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Headlamp pump is on the left.

If you are really keen on disconnecting the headlight washer pump, probably disconnecting the power cable is the way to do it.

I tend to agree, black paint and every day is sunny, it does not sound like headlight squirter's are really needed - save the water for the windscreen. Probably you often operate the windscreen squirter's just to clear the lines so to speak so that deposits from the heat evaporated water do not plug up the windscreen jets.

Up here, I find that snow works better anyway - the antifreeze type -40F washer fluid "water" we use just turns to ice anyway, particularily on the headlights as they do not generate very much heat. The heated windscreen is really useful here.

The headlight washer pump is the large one on the left in the picture; the apparently smaller hidden one to the right is for the windscreen. That must explain why regardless of how low I seem to have the windscreen jets aimed, the hood gets squirted instead, however the windscreen just seem to get damp when the windscreen squirter is activated - maybe all the water is going to the rear glass.

The jpg is what you see if you remove the left front plastic wheel well liner.

Attached Thumbnails Disable Headlight Washer ?-left-front-inner-wheel-arch-showing-squirter-tank.jpg  

Quick Reply: Disable Headlight Washer ?